andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Ways to Save for a Summer Vacation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Syracuse chapter.

We’ve all felt the itch over the summer to get out of the house and see something new. Most of time the only thing holding us back from sunny, sandy beaches or bustling city streets is lack of $$$$. If you want something more than a staycation this summer, you can avoid this dilemma by starting to save money right now!

Here are my top ten ways to save up for a summer vacay:

1.  Stop going to Starbucks- at least until you’ve paid for your vacation

Skip the line and grab water from your dorm; it’s healthier and less fattening. Most of the time you’re paying $5 for a 90% milk and/or ice drink. If you really can’t live without coffee, go to People’s Place- it’s cheaper and more convenient.

2.  Don’t buy drinks at the bar

If you’re a girl, work on your flirting skills and get free drinks. If you’re a guy, pre-game. Even if you plan on only buying one drink, you’ll end up leaving the bar five drinks deep and $20 poorer.

3. Stop buying late-night food

It might seem like a great idea to spend $30 on Dominos at 2 AM but you would be better off just going to bed. Plus, less late-night eating equals a better bikini body for the trip you can afford!

4. Skip out on that extra (really cute) bathing suit or pair of shorts

Try to avoid the online shopping world, but one less bikini won’t make a difference to you once you’re sun-bathing somewhere far, far away.

5.  Eat in the dining halls

Although Bleu Monkey and Chipotle are appealing, Ernie Davis Dining Hall can be good too. Eating out is the easiest way to lose all of your money. If you stick to the dining halls, you’ll save a ton of money!

6.  Swap books, DVDs, and electronics for some extra dough

At the end of every semester you can always sell your books or electronics for cash. Even if it’s not a lot of money, every dollar helps towards your goal.

7.  Don’t get your nails/hair/eyebrows done as often

Let the tweezers be your friend, borrow polish and ask a friend to do your hair- one of the perks of living in a dorm. Plus, you never have to tip!

8.  Go to group dinners, but eat before you go

Just because you’re trying to save, doesn’t mean you have to give up your social life. You can still get dressed up, see your friends, eat the free bread, and drink the free water. Plus, you can always finish off the meals your friends don’t finish.

9. Figure out your spending limit

The best way to stop your spending is to develop a weekly budget. Find the difference between your new spending limit and what you usually spend during the week and put it in a savings account. Plus, your spending limit will help you plan for the week ahead.

10.  Tan naturally

Now that it’s getting sunnier in ‘Cuse, text your friends and lay out on the quad. There’s notneed to drop $20 on tanning beds or getting a spray tan.  Just be sure to wear sunscreen. Oh yes, you can borrow that too!

Happy Summer!