Why You Should Consider Signing Up for Passport to Panhel 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

As a first semester college freshman, I had no intention of going Greek. I didn’t really know what being in a sorority was all about, but I already had the impression that it seemed like a positive community to be a part of. A few of my friends who were interested in going Greek encouraged me to sign up for Passport to Panhel. I was hesitant at first, but I figured, why not? I had previously gone to a few of the individual open houses, but I still wasn’t quite sure if going Greek was for me. Though, let me tell you… going through Passport was one of the best decisions I have ever made.  

You may be wondering what Passport to Panhel even is. Passport is pretty much a one-night trial run of formal recruitment. You are put in a group and you rotate visiting each of the Greek houses. At Susquehanna, the Panhellenic organizations include Sigma Kappa, Alpha Delta Pi, Zeta Tau Alpha, Kappa Delta, and Sigma Gamma Rho. You will go to each of these houses and chat with the sisters in each organization. This year, Passport is being held on Thursday, November 9 starting at 5:30, and you can sign up at the Info Desk in Deg. 

If you’re not quite sold on Greek life, or even if you’re just on the fence about whether you want to go through recruitment, I encourage you to sign up for Passport. Here are just a few reasons why: 

1. You have the chance to preview what formal recruitment is like.  

The thought of going through recruitment is often nerve-wracking. However, participating in passport will give you the chance to get a glimpse of what actual recruitment is like, but in a more laid-back environment.  

1. It will help you decide if you want to go through formal recruitment. 

Admittedly, Greek life is not for everyone. But you won’t know if it’s for you unless you keep an open mind and try to learn more about it.  

1. Even if you don’t end up going Greek, you get to meet a ton of new girls that you may not have ever talked to otherwise. 

Passport gives you the chance to interact with the sisters of the various organizations. They want to get to know you better as a person and learn what you value. If you go through passport with any intentions besides going Greek, go so that you will recognize some more friendly faces on campus! Who knows, maybe you’ll hit it off with someone and end up becoming good friends! 

1. You will learn more about Greek life in general.  

Panhellenic organizations value philanthropy, sisterhood, personal growth and achievement, leadership, academics, and more. You can learn more about each of these values and more about what makes Greek life so great by going through Passport. 

1. It’s completely free!!!! 

There is absolutely no cost to participate in Passport. Therefore, it is the perfect opportunity to preview recruitment and learn about what Greek life is all about. All of the Panhellenic women would love to see your smiling face! 

Overall, after meeting so many wonderful girls who were so passionate about their respective organizations, I knew that I wanted to go through Formal Recruitment in the spring. I found my forever home this past February and I couldn’t be happier! I encourage you to take the step to sign up at the Info Desk for Passport to Panhel! It’s a great experience that you won’t forget, regardless of whether you decide to go Greek!  

For more information about Passport, you can look at the Susquehanna’s Panhel Instagram page (@susqupanhel) or Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/susquehanna.panhel).  

Jersey girl who loves The Bachelor, burritos, boybands, and basically anything basic. Member of the Class of 2020 at Susquehanna University studying Stretigic Communications: Advertising and Marketing and Art History.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.