This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

As we all know, the weather is getting colder out. When it gets colder, it throws our skin out of whack. I think I have found some solutions to the toughest winter skin problems. I have 5 skin products that I find to work and two bonus items that aren’t necessarily for skin, but great for the winter time.  

To start out, our hair gets much drier and brittle in the winter months. I use the “It’s a 10” leave in conditioner. In the summer time I notice that this can leave my hair greasy if I use too much or it, but in the winter time my hair drinks it up. It has 10 different benefits, hence why it’s called It’s a 10, and I find it to be a quick, one step product for my wavy hair.  

The next product is a face mask. With the cold weather comes dry air and constant changing temperatures. Your skin needs moisture and could probably use some calming. You frequently go in and out of the cold, walking to classes and then sitting in heater filled classrooms. Your skin doesn’t have time to adjust and, in return, you can get dry patches, oily patches, and breakouts. Using a facemask can bring some normalcy back into your skin. An abrasive mask can get rid of built-up oils, flakes, and brighten the skin. A clay mask can increase moisture and balance your skin. I usually get the little Freeman packs at Walmart. They’re super cheap and can be used about two times. (P.S. I even got my brother into them.) 

Since we’re on the dry skin subject, I’m going to recommend my favorite moisturizer. I use the Garnier Skin Active Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream. I have super oily skin and, until recently, I never thought to moisturize. I‘ve tried other lotion moisturizers and they just made my skin oilier so I gave up. I read that denying your skin moisturizer makes it create more moisture in defiance. I also heard someone recommend gel moisturizer, so I gave it one more go. This product is the perfect hybrid. It helps with my dry areas and it doesn’t make me overly oily. I’d recommend this product if you have oily or combination skin. However, you might want something thicker if you have severely dry skin.  

Next, we’re going to move onto lips. I like to start with a nice scrub every other day. I use the lush lip scrub in chocolate. They have other flavors too, if you aren’t keen on chocolate. This scrub is edible. When you’re done scrubbing, all you have to do is lick it off, and it’s pretty delicious. I got my mom hooked on this stuff and she was very pleased that I introduced her to it. This product creates a nice base for lip products and helps get rid of chapped lips. The cost is a little under 10 dollars, but it’s vegan, cruelty free, and self-preserving.  

The last lip and skin product is the Hempz Ultra Moisturizing Herbal Lip Balm. This lip balm is infused with hemp seed oil, but there isn’t any THC in it. It has a nice citrus flavor and it goes on clear. It makes my lips super smooth, but it isn’t a lip balm that my lips get addicted to and end up drying out over time from. It just makes them soft and smooth all day to combat the dry weather and the chapped lip apocalypse. It also looks glossy when you put it on, so it can double as a lip gloss.  

Now that we covered those 5 things, let’s go into two random products that are just good winter essentials.  

The first one, that is something we should all be carrying with us, is germ-x/ hand sanitizer, etc. Germs are everywhere right now and everyone is getting sick. Classroom desks have germs on them, as do the tables and the chairs. The more you sanitize your hands, and the less you touch your face, the less likely you will be to get sick. #washthosehands 

Finally, I recommend a Lush perfume called Sun. For one, this perfume smells like a mimosa, one of my favorite scents. It’s citrusy, light, and it stays on for a fairly long time. Now, you may be thinking, what makes this perfume is any different from another perfume?” What makes this perfect for winter is that it was designed to combat seasonal depression. Seasonal depression usually comes around during the winter time and makes people glum. I can see how this scent helps with that, even if it’s a placebo. Either way, I highly recommend it!

SU' 20 • Vanderpump Rules Enthusiast • Dog Fanatic • I'm just a college girl with champagne taste on a beer budget.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.