Four Extraordinary African-American Women 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Every February, the African American community comes together to celebrate Black History Month. Black History Month is the commemoration of the history and accomplishments of African-Americans in the United States. Here are the stories of four extraordinary African American women that paved the way and revolutionized the fields we are involved in today. 

Mary Jane Patterson 

Mary Jane Patterson was the first African-American women to graduate college. Born in 1840 as the daughter of fugitive slaves, Mary Jane went on the receive her Bachelor’s degree from Oberlin College in 1862. After graduating she went on to teach at what is now Cheney University, as well as the historic Dunbar High School in Washington D.C. Throughout her career she provided mentorship to young African American girls. 

Jane Bolin 

Born in 1908, Jane Bolin was a trailblazer for African-American women in the law field. She was the first African-American female to graduate from Yale Law and went on the become the first African-American female judge at the age of 31. 

Dorothy Dandridge 

Dorothy Dandridge was an African-American actress and singer. Born in 1926, Dandridge rose to fame in the height of segregation in the United States. She was the first African American to be nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actress for breakout leading role in Carmen Jones(1956). Although she didn’t win the award, her nomination itself broke down boundaries within the film industry. She paved the way for actresses such as Halle Berry, who went on to win the Academy Award and portrayed Dandridge in the TV film, Introducing Dorothy Dandridge. 

Alexa Canady 

Dr. Alexa Canady was the first female African-American neurosurgeon in the United States. After graduating high school with honors, Canady went on to attend medical school at the University of Michigan. She completed her residency in 1981, specializing in pediatric neurosurgery. She was also the first African American female to receive certification of the American Board of Neurological Surgery. 

“Jane Bolin.” Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 02 Apr. 2014. Web. 12 Feb. 2017. 

“Dorothy Dandridge.” Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 28 Nov. 2016. Web. 12 Feb. 2017. 

“Mary Jane Patterson.” Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 20 Apr. 2016. Web. 12 Feb. 2017. 

“Alexa Canady.” Biography.com. A&E Networks Television, 02 Apr. 2014. Web. 12 Feb. 2017.

Hanifah Jones is a Junior Communications Major with a minor in Studio Art currently studying abroad in Cape Town, South Africa.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.