Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, and the Workplace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Over the past few years, a rise in new social media outlets has taken center stage in the lives of millennials’. Ironically while scrolling down Facebook’s newsfeed, a video popped up about social media and its connection to millennials. Simon Sinek, an inspirational speaker who motivates leaders and individuals to achieve their goals, briefly explains how millennials have a difficult time adjusting to technological advances. The generation that we live in struggle with the concept of patience, particularly in the workplace.   

Due to these social outlets, an illusion is created in the eyes of millennials: everything has to happen right away, and be noticed. Social media allows us to place filters upon our lives.Millennials create filters that make others believe they are happy on  Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and even in Snapchat stories. Think about it ; we instantly feel ecstatic when our Facebook photos, posts or, Instagram stories have a lot of views or likes. Social media is a constant in today’s society, and while it has its pros and cons, it also creates the image that everything must be done this way.”  

Sinek mentions a key component of life: patience. As millennials we sometimes forget to slow down partially due to social media’s influence and other revolving factors. Sinek also gives a few worst case scenarios such as not getting that promotion or wanting to quit; however, we must not allow social media’s expectation to influence our work ethic and grit. The workplace is not like social media; we may have to climb to get where we want.  

Academically at Susquehanna University, we encourage those to explore your options. Deciding what to major in or minor in does not need to fill like a rushed process. Essentially, do what makes you happy and choose a career path that you are genuinely happy with. Do what you love and embrace the struggles and challenges life may bring.  

I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.