This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

For many families, Easter is a holiday for them to come together and show appreciation to the sacrifice that Jesus had done for them. For my family however, Easter is traditional holiday where we receive additional blessing from God.

My parents were born in Port au Prince, Haiti and now live in America, but their migration to America did not stop them from continuing their cultural traditions. SInce I was young my parents established their cultural traditions and beliefs in the household and I also plan on passing them down to my offspring. The week leading up to Easter is a week set apart to prepare our hearts and minds for the resurrection. During that week we meet up with our church family every night for prayer and consecration. We also have a fasting period set in place as small sacrifice from us to God. The Friday before Easter, Haitian churches from all over travel to our church for the celebration that will take place on Saturday and Sunday. Churches from Haiti, Canada, Florida, Boston,Philadelphia, and local areas come and bring their hearts to God. On that Friday night we give praise all together and sleep at the church. The next day, Saturday, every household brings a flower to present before God as an offering. And we block off the whole block of the surrounding the church in order to make a march before God. The march consists of banners, flowers, and the pastors and leaders of every church. When we finally come back in the church the holy spirit descends on the leaders and it’s like another day of pentecost. During this time many people are healed of their illnesses, and mane demon possessed or persecuted beings are liberated.

A testimony that I could give is that 2 years ago, I was very ill with hypoglycemia, and adrenal insufficiency. The prophet appointed at the time of the celebration brought me to the middle and prophesied my healing. He told me not to take the medications given to me and that God had already provided my healing. After three weeks I was fully healed. I went back for my 2 week checkup and my endocrinologist was very shocked and could not believe that the test were producing accurate information. But I was healed!

The next day, actual Easter day, everyone dresses up in fancy clothing, and comes to church, and with food and celebration we celebrate the resurrection of Christ. We also believe that we have received our blessing in abundance for the year!

I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.