Changing Your Major is Not a Major Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Things Change Over Time

Going into college I thought I had everything figured out. Since the 6th grade I wanted to be Pediatric Dentist. Coming out of high school I had the amazing grades, the stunning resume loaded with pages of internships and job-shadowing opportunities, I even had the perfect smile. I was ready. I was going to be the best Pediatric Dentist that ever came out of Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania. So I thought.

Failure Is a Part of Life

Turns out I hate science, and you have to be a Biology major to get into dental school. Turns out you have to take general chemistry and organic chemistry to get into dental school. Turned out I flunked out of being a science major that year.

When You have Drama Call Your Mama

Everyday for the first 2 months of school I cried. I cried to my mom, to the staff and the counseling center, to my boyfriend, to my roommates ( yes I was in a forced triple). I thought was a failure, even considered dropping out of school.

Have An Open Mind

After I was all cried out I had long talk with myself. I told myself that I was not a failure but I also told myself I am not cut out to be a dentist. So I explored the other activities I was interested. Upon this exploration I discovered my new found love for Advertising and Marketing. We will see where it takes me.

I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.