kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Combat Unhealthy Eating Habits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Susqu chapter.

Being a college student can be tough. Juggling class work, jobs, relationships, and extra curricular activities can bring you to the brink of insanity. Not only is that unhealthy, but the crazy eating habits one can develop is just as bad. If you find yourself eating burgers and fries for dinner because “there’s nothing else to eat” you need to get your life together! Honestly, before you now it you’ve gained 15 – 20 unhealthy pounds. So, before you take the initiative, its important to understand what are a few side effects to unhealthy eating.

Effects of Bad Eating Habits:

• Poor Sleep
  • Poor Brain function
  • Poor indigestion
  • Mood swings
  • Poor workout capabilities
  • Acne

Now, that you see some of these effects, lets work on how to make it better:

1. Drink lots of water

You’ve certainly heard of this a lot but, when you’re on a college campus, juice and soda are the first things you are attracted to at the dinning hall. To combat the temptation, get yourself a water bottle, and carry that bad boy with you at all times. Sooner or later you’ll be refilling it four times a day.

1. Snack

Because of your busy schedule you may forget or have no time to eat, which explains why you might crave a burger or cheesesteak at 11pm. To prevent this from happening, pack yourself a bag of nuts, fruits or a granola bar to sustain your hunger until your next meal.

1. Exercise

Although, it might take a while to get used to going to the gym, you can always wok out in your room, walk everywhere and avoid taking the elevator. For a workout plan, you can always check on YouTube, web articles, or magazines. Working out helps you feel energized and calls for good productivity.

1. Sleep

Get at least 8 hours of sleep and if that’s not possible try taking 30 minute naps throughout the day. Your body will recuperate all the energy it lost causing and your hunger hormones will essentially decrease.

1. Meditate/Relax

If you are having a stressful day, take some time out to do some meditating. Find a quiet place on campus like the library or the counseling center and just relax. Clear your mind from deadlines or projects you have to meet up with a group for. The more often you do this, the less stressed you’ll feel and when you are less stressed you don’t feel like eating a tub of ice cream in the middle of the night.

Veneranda Bautista is a student at Susquehanna University in small town Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania. While being an Advertising/Marketing and Spanish double major she finds time to reflect on life, go to the gym, and stay up to date with celebrity news. Born and raised in Brooklyn and daughter of Dominican immigrants have definitely played a pivotal role in the ambitious person she is today. To gain a better taste of who she is personally, make sure to follow her on Instagram: @veny_bau.
I am Brooke Adams-Porter, a communications student at Susquehanna University. Just an old soul finding herself in this new world.