The Weeknd and Selena Gomez: More than Acquainted?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Hollywood’s newest couple has finally made its way into the media and it is quite the unexpected pairing: The Weeknd and Selena Gomez. Twitter was in an uproar over the photos that released of the couple hugging and kissing each other, looking happier than ever. It appears that the world was still not over the Weeknd’s two-year relationship with model Bella Hadid that ended not too long ago.

Hadid and Gomez are both part of Taylor Swifts girl squad, leading everyone to believe they are good pals, but clearly there is some bad blood. After the photos released, Hadid unfollowed Gomez on Instagram. She could possibly upset that her so-called “friend” Gomez stole her man, and it wouldn’t be the first time Selena has done so to a pal. She dated Nick Jonas shortly after Miley Cyrus did in 2008, Taylor Lautner shorty after best friend Taylor Swift did in 2009, and now, The Weeknd. It doesn’t seem like Gomez’s ex Justin Bieber is too happy either. Sources state that a few months ago, Justin was willing to do a collaboration with The Weeknd in the future, and a few days ago, Bieber claimed that The Weeknd’s music is “whack”. 

There are many speculations that The Weeknd has had his sights set on Selena for a while. His latest single, “Party Monster” mentions a Selena and twitter has been debating all month about whether it is in reference to Gomez or to the famous Selena Quintanilla. Despite the questionable song references and the jealous ex’s, The Weeknd and Gomez look relatively happy and have been out of the spotlight photo wise since the original photos were released. Only time will tell how long this star couple will last.

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.