‘Tis the Season to Dress for the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As the trees begin to go bare and the costumes are tucked away, the holidays are on our minds and our Christmas lists are being brainstormed. The ever-lusted over fall fashion is on its way out, and holiday cheer is in. It is this time of year that not only brings in the cold weather, but along with that, fabulous fashion. Whether you are jet setting to a foreign land, heading home, or hitting the beach, dressing for the holidays is important. It’s time to break out the golds, the reds, and the greens; the holidays are here.

With the holidays comes fabulous feasts. Nobody wants to be bundled up at the table or sucking in their stomach just to shovel down another piece of pie. But a holiday full of food can also call for a holiday full fashion. Whether you’re spending the day in the kitchen, or simply being served, an outfit that is both comfortable and chic will do the trick.

For The Family Feast:

A favorite of mine – and a great one to keep that tummy tucked away as the food keeps coming is high waisted leggings. My favorite pair is from Zara, and goes for about $35. These look amazing paired with a pair of boots and a cute blouse. Try a chiffon or a silk top to dress things up a bit, and the boots and leggings will balance the outfit, as they are more casual. Dark reds, neutrals, and pumpkin orange are colors that are flattering for this time of year, and adding some gold accessories will brighten up any outfit. Don’t forget a scarf to tie the outfit together!

Opting for something a bit dressier? Try a short, flare skirt with a pair of burgundy or pumpkin colored stockings, a fitted cable knit sweater, and some booties with a heel. It’ll certainly add some edge to the traditional holiday outfit.

For the Holiday Parties:

While most of us probably put up with the family-coordinated, matching pajama pictures around the holidays, some of us are dashing through the snow to get from party to party. The holidays can go a few ways at our age. Although it’s probably best us girls stray from the jingle bell bracelets and the snowflake sweaters, it’s still the time of year where everything is bright and merry. Dare to be bold, yet conservative. As we know, the holidays can get a little hectic, between finding outfits for the ongoing holiday parties, buying gifts for others, and making the community rounds upon our arrival home from college. 

A go-to item is always a great holiday dress. Something that is full of spirit, but doesn’t go too far. Sweater dresses make excellent ensembles, especially paired with stockings and booties. They are cozy yet classy.

Another great piece for these chectic times is a bold pair of pants, whether they be a holiday red, Christmas tree green, or printed with stars, they will make a statement at any soiree. Pair with a plain sweater. Stay simple, you have a lot on your plate at this time of year.

For New Year’s Eve:

You’ve had that sparkly dress hanging in your closet for weeks, and by New Year’s Eve you’re ready to bust it out. It’s a party dress no doubt; something thats suitable for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres, as well as dancing and champagne showers. A NYE dress should be flirty and fun, something that expresses your own style and that will ring in the new year the right way. While less is often more, I don’t believe there is a way to go light on a night like this. After all, you do want to go out with a bang. When it comes to NYE dresses, go glittery and go glam, but try not to look so much like a walking disco ball. Find something that shimmers but doesn’t look tacky. Opt for a dress that shows either legs or chest, never both. With dresses so sparkly, a little too much skin can do a lot of wrong. With a leggy dress, find a bold pair of pumps. With a dress with iron arms, go for some sexy stilettos. To keeps things a bit more classy and conservative, add a blazer. With a dress full of sequins, glitter, or gold, you will surely illuminate the new year.