Tinder Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

It’s safe to say that at this point we’ve all at least heard of “Tinder.” For those of you who haven’t, Tinder is a dating/hookup app, linked to Facebook that allows you to sort through numerous guys or girls in your area via a <3 or X symbol. Depending on whether you are interested in them or not based on their photos and profile, you can swipe to like them or pass them. If you and that person have both liked each other, you become a match, at which point you have the ability to message one another. One of the best parts about Tinder, in my opinion, is that you’ll never be matched with your Facebook friends…because that would just be awkward.

Sounds cool, right? Some people are totally into it, and others not so much. The app’s co-founder and CEO, Sean Rad, says, “Tinder is here to stay. Tinder is absolutely solving a core human issue that people have with social discovery.” Whether or not you think this is true is up to you, but we do know that more than half of the app’s user base is ages 18-24, meaning it is being highly used by college students. Many find that this app is especially useful in a city like Boston because there are so many eligible bachelors/bachelorettes at other nearby schools who we may never meet.

If you use Tinder already or want to try it out, here are some dos and don’ts to help guide you through it.

Do talk about your shared interests.

Shared Facebook likes are on Tinder for a reason. If you get matched with a cute guy, don’t just be generic and say “heyy.” Message him asking his favorite song of the band you both like, or his favorite part of whatever movie is listed. This way he’ll be more likely to remember you, and a real conversation will start. 

Don’t post group pictures.

Chances are guys will swipe right by you if they have to try and figure out what you look like. 

Do be yourself.

I know this sounds cliché, but seriously. You don’t know these people you’re talking to, so why put on any kind of facade? You might miss out on talking to someone who would be genuinely attracted to your personality.  

Don’t go out to dinner on your first date.

This one isn’t finite, but if you decide to meet up with a Tinder match, try to meet somewhere casual, like a café, so you can easily escape if necessary. This might sound a little harsh, but you never know.

Do make it what you want it to be.

If you want to use Tinder to find hookups, go for it. If you just want to meet new people, that’s fine too. If you downloaded it for a bit of a confidence boost, you’re not alone. Just be mindful that not everyone you’ll be matched with has the same intention as you.

Don’t get attached.

The worst thing you could do to yourself is start planning you and your newest match’s wedding and children’s names. Tinder is probably a bad place for people who will get emotionally attached, because chances are, most of your matches are not looking for a wife. It’s just an app everyone.

Do use your best judgment.

Whatever you do, be careful, and use your best judgment if you do decide to meet up with a match of yours. Never go somewhere alone, and do NOT do anything that makes you uncomfortable. As much fun as it is to meet someone new off the app, it has to be done using caution, simply because you never know.

Have fun with it, be careful, and good luck!

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.