Taylor Cocco: Founder of the Lowell Spinners Dance Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

At just 22 years old, Taylor Cocco, a Public Relations major at Suffolk, has accomplished so much in the dance world. She has danced in the Parade of Nations, won a gold medal in the Olympics of Dance in Germany, and started the Lowell Spinners Dance Team. For those of you who do not know, the Lowell Spinners are the minor league version of the Boston Red Sox.

Name: Taylor Cocco

Age: 22

Hometown: Everett, MA

Major: Public Relations

LC: What influenced you to study at Suffolk University?

Taylor: I was influenced to come to Suffolk University because I wanted to broaden my educational horizons. Prior to Suffolk, I attended Dean College in Franklin, MA where I received my degree in Dance. 

LC: What was your favorite class at Suffolk?

Taylor: Event planning. I loved learning about what goes into planning any type of special event. 

LC: Tell me about some of your dance background.

Taylor: I began dancing at the age of 3, and have been in love with it ever since. I was trained at Sherry Gold’s in Brockton, MA and continued my education in college. I can’t imagine my life without it. 

LC: What is your most memorable dance moment?

Taylor: When I won the Gold medal in the Olympics of Dance in Reisa, Germany. I competed against thousands of dancers from hundreds of countries around the world. I also had the honor of being asked to dance in the opening ceremony at the Parade of Nations. Seeing the American flag raised above my head, as the National Anthem played was a feeling I will never forget. 

LC: What are your biggest achievements as a dancer?

Taylor: As a dancer, I have had amazing opportunities. Aside from winning that Gold medal, I danced with Derek Hough (from Dancing with the Stars) in New York City for a Sears jeans promotion, and also was an animation performer for Cirque du Soleil two summers ago in Boston.

LC: What influenced you to start the Lowell Spinners Dance Team? Will you continue it for the years to come?

Taylor: I wanted to start a dance team for girls who are talented but consistently got turned away from other teams such as the Celtics or Patriots. There is so much talent in this area, and I wanted girls to be able to share it. I simply pitched the idea to the Spinners, and the rest was history. I plan on maintaining this team for many years to come!  

LC: Do you have any advice for girls who want to try out for the team?

Taylor: For any girl who is interested in being a part of the Lowell Spinners Dance Team, I would tell them to enter the audition with a positive attitude and a smile on their face. Having strong dance technique is important, but it is just as important to be personable and outgoing, because we do a lot of fan interaction at the games!

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.  
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.