alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Summer to Fall fashions – How to Avoid Falling Short of Fabulous

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

We all know back to school weather means humidity, freezing mornings yet scorching afternoons and the never ended struggling to look cute while keeping up with the ridiculous weather patterns. Especially living in New England you never know what the weather is going to do. Here are some helpful hints on how to stay cute and comfy during this awkward seasonal transition!

1. Always layer! If you wake up freezing, wear a sweater with a short sleeve shirt or tank underneath. Don’t make the mistake of stepping out in jeans and a sweater you’ll be a ball of sweat by the time 12:00 p.m. hits.
  2. Keep your rain boots in your closet till at least mid-October! I know they’re so cute and very practical when there’s a torrential down pour, but trust me, rain boots can be heavy and uncomfortable. Not to mention, it’s New England and it will most likely be a beautiful fall day by the time your first class is over.
  3. Mix and Match! I know the fall itch is in full force once you break out the school supplies but save you fall outfits till your weather app reads a low 60 degrees! Mix your fall tops with summer bottoms and vice versa. It’s too early to commit to a full fall ensemble. Here are some examples of ways to mix and match!
  • Shorts and a sweater/long sleeve shirt
  • Cute dress with a cardigan
  • Booties with shorts a sweater and hat
  • Short sleeve tops or a tank with jeans

1. Jean jackets are still appropriate! I know the stigma is denim jackets are a spring thing, but the weather that the fall brings can be related to spring, so don’t pack it away just yet! Denim jackets are a perfect layer; they’ll keep you warm in AC and are light enough to brave the mid-day sun.
  2. Scarf season is back! I know I know scarves tend to be a fall/winter item but there are such things as spring and summer scarves too! Keep it light, avoid anything with wool. A scarf is a perfect touch to any outfit, they can also be easily removed if it gets too hot.
Currently a senior at Suffolk University majoring in Public Relations, I am excited to be finishing up my undergraduate career. Prior to working with Her Campus I interned at Rosie's Place, a non profit that works with struggling women and child. I currently waitress part time while going to school and working at Her Campus. Being a member of the Suffolk Her Campus chapter for 3 years now you can find some of my content there or in the giveaway section of the website!  In my free time I enjoy playing tennis, running, roller blading The Charles, cooking, spending time with my family and friends, overcaffinating myself at Starbucks, or binge watching Sex in The City for the 75th time. Upon graduation I wouldn't be opposed to staying in Boston nor would I be opposed to traveling elsewhere, preferably somewhere warm after these crazy winters.