Reality TV or Trash TV?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Remember the days that MTV actually played music and shows that were ‘music’ related? You probably remember rushing home from school during your middle school days, just to make sure you were home in time to watch TRL and see who was featured in that day’s episode. But now, after TRL has been taken off the air by MTV, viewers would be lucky if they were able to watch anything about music on MTV.

As much as we all want to hate reality TV, we always find outselves enjoying episodes of Jersey Shore and Teen Mom every week. When Jersey Shore first aired, I wasn’t too sure what to think of it, but by the second or third episode – like every other young person in America (for the most part)- I was hooked. I enjoyed the first season, couldn’t wait for the second one, and once that one was over, I I was holding my break for the third one to begin. But by the time the fourth season aired, I was bored of Jersey Shore. Everything about the show was getting old – from Snooki being a drunk, obnoxious mess, to Sammi and Ron’s constant fighting over the most ridiculous issues. Not to mention they looked like complete idiots in Italy!

This season though, is, by far, the trashiest season yet – and may possibly be one of the trashiest TV shows of all time. Snooki has decided that it is okay to pee outside on the ground like a dog, and goes against doctor’s orders and gets “her and her UTI” drunk. J-Wow dresses in a vulgar manner to make her boyfriend jealous, and is “surprised” when Roger gets into a fight at Karma. The guys are being their typical selves and bringing home different girls every night, having sex with them, and then sending them home in a taxi at dawn. Deena tries to bring home a cop, Mike admits he really likes Paula, yet tries to get different girls every night. OH, and could someone please tell Snooki it is not cute to act dumb!? No one over the age of 16 is dumb enough to not be able to understand “clock language.” The list could go on and on forever.

Thankfully, the producers are not planning on having a sixth season, but the downfall that comes with that is that most of the cast are getting their own spin off shows! Great – more trash to add onto a station that was once worthwhile.

I’ll admit that I love watching the Teen Mom seasons. I give the girls on both of these shows (Teen Mom, and Teen Mom 2) (maybe with the exception of Janelle) a lot of credit. They are great moms for the most part, and do their best to provide for their kids as well as do well for themselves. As for 16 & Pregnant, enough is enough with this show. I know that Teen Mom is a spinoff of this show, and that is how the girls got started on Teen Mom, but MTV is going on their fourth season of 16 & Pregnant – that’s a lot of young pregnant girls! It is almost as if this show is encouraging girls to get pregnant with the hopes of landing a spot on this TV show.

MTV is not the only television station that has trashy TV. MOB Wives, and any of the sports wives shows are up there on the trashiness scale. Jerseylicious is addicting, yet very disgusting at times. And the poor little girls with crazy parents (most of the time) on Toddlers in Tiaras should not be encouraged for what they are taking part in! TV is so flooded with these shows, it is hard to remember what a GOOD show actually is. 

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.  
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.