No Bra, No Problem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Big ones, little ones, mosquito bites… no matter the size, no one actually likes wearing a bra! Most would agree that the bra-free sensation equates to the mystical, mermaid feeling while skinny-dipping.

It’s no longer sweater season, and we can’t hide being braless under our baggy sweaters and scarves anymore. However, there’s no need to start strapping on your very much loathed, underwired bras. As spring and summer are approaching us, so will deep necklines, backless tops, and muscle tanks. Lucky for us, keeping our girls comfortable and free is in. We can officially prepare ourselves for a season of freedom without it being taboo. 

Have no fear; there is no need for underwire here!

Who would think our no bra revolution has benefits? According to the results of a 15-year study in France, bras provide no benefits to women, and may actually be harmful over time. After a year, the bra-wearers can fall an average of 7mm more than non bra-wearers.

“Medically, physiologically, anatomically, the breast does not benefit from being deprived gravity,” according to Jean-Denis Rouillon, a professor at the University of Franche-Comté in Besançon. This doesn’t mean you should ditch your bra for a whole year…but give your girls a break every once in a while.

I suggest that you go about this trend as subtly as possible, especially if you are blessed with bigger breasts. No one wants to see your boobs out in the open. The side boob and braless looks in loose t-shirts are always playful and sexy.

However, if you find your tank doesn’t allow you to go braless and it is just too open, try my latest obsession from Urban Outfitters. The “Kimchi Black Lace Triangle Bra” has no underwire and feels like nothing is there!

Embrace the fact that it is acceptable to live like everyday is a lazy Sunday in, and rock the latest trend this spring!

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.