Newest Growing Fear: Online Dating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Deception. Anxiety. Death. Betrayal. Four bold words with very strong meanings. Shockingly, these words are commonly used while explaining societies’ fears about online dating. As the trend for online dating is on the rise, so is the fear that comes with it.

Catfish is a new show on MTV that I’m sure many of you are aware of. While watching this show, my biggest surprise was just how many people go out of their way to create fake online profiles. While asking individuals what their biggest fear of online dating was, many people said they feared being “catfished.”  In today’s society, it is so easy to hide behind your computer and to fake who you truly are.

Just like regular dating, the initial meet-up is what worries people. The first meeting with that person, whether you already know them or not, can be nerve-racking! And this same reaction comes with online dating. However, the anxiety for this initial contact can be far more intimidating. What if he or she is not who they said they are? What if I’m not attracted to him or her? What if the pictures were not real? What if they HURT me?

Nevertheless, online dating does not necessarily have to be a bad thing and it can be a great opportunity to meet some new and exciting people. Here are some great ways to be less fearful and much safer with online dating:

Meet for the first time in a public place. That way if he or she is a total creeper, you are not alone with them. Make your friends and family aware that you are going on your first blind date so they can also have an idea about what exactly is going on in case something goes horribly wrong.

Nervous to go alone? Make it a double date. Perhaps suggest a double date to this new online person you’re talking to. Have them invite a friend and bring one of your own friends as well. You never know this may create a great opportunity not only for you but for your friend as well!

Use your Facebook stalking skills and do what you do best! This is one of the few times that it is totally okay to hard-core creep on the person that you are talking to. You don’t necessarily need to fully trust the person you are talking to right away, so if you feel the need to investigate some of the things he or she is saying, then go for it and find out for yourself if they are telling the truth.

Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.