Marsala: Color of The Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Right before the New Year kicked off, Pantone announced that the color of 2015 would be Marsala; a warm-toned, earthy color, with mixes of maroon, brown, burgundy, and eggplant. Beyoncé wore a marsala-colored dress at the 2014 VMA Awards, and at the 2014 Billboard Women in Music Luncheon. Taylor Swift also jumped onto the Marsala bandwagon, wearing a one-shoulder dress at Z100’s 2014 Jingle Ball.

Even though this color seems like it works more for fall and winter, it’s easy to incorporate it into your spring outfits. Check out my top Marsala picks below!

Nothing says spring like a cute dress. This breezy slipdress by Free People ($88) is perfect for running errands, dinner with friends, or a date. Pair it with gold jewelry, sandals, and you’re good to go! Sneakers are really big this season, so you can pair this dress with a pair of white Converse or Keds, too.

As mentioned above, sneakers are huge this spring. Converse sneakers are always a good go-to choice, and they’re comfortable and cute to wear to class, or walking around the city when it’s warm enough. Pair these Marsala kicks with a graphic t-shirt and jeans, you have the perfect spring outfit!  ($55, converse.com)

This tote ($44.98, francescas.com) is a perfect way to add the color to your outfit without it being the main focus. When the warmer weather comes, pair this bag with an all white outfit to make a statement, or an LBD for a date night.

For a class presentation or an interview, blazers are a must-have. This one from Forever 21 ($24.80) would look great over a black blouse and work pants. Or, for a more relaxed vibe, wear it with a tank and boyfriend jeans.

After awhile, the same-old blue jeans can get a bit boring. Add a pop of Marsala to your wardrobe with these hi-rise jeggings from American Eagle ($54.95). Worn with a neutral shirt on top, it’s the perfect outfit to wear to class!

This shirt from Madewell is the perfect shirt to wear to brunch. Pair it with gold jewelry, white jeans, and flats. Or, for a nicer occasion, swap out your flats for wedges.

Heels are a staple for every collegiate. These d’Orsay pumps by Sam Edelman ($109.95) are perfect for a fancy dinner or a date.

With warmer weather around the corner, it’s inevitable that you’ll need sunglasses. This two-tone pair from Marc Jacobs ($98) gives a twist to a classic pair.

Makeup is also a great way to try the Marsala trend! Try lipstick from MAC in Desire ($16) or Clinique’s All About Shadow 8-Pan Palette in Neutral Territory 2 ($36).

The best part about these picks is that they can also be incorporated into your wardrobe again in the fall! Happy shopping!

Erin is a senior at Suffolk, majoring in public relations. She loves going out with her friends, catching up on her shows on Netflix, and although she's sad about graduating, she can't wait to see what the real world has to offer.  
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.