This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Long weekends; not quite a full vacation, but a great opportunity to get some you time. Take the opportunity for you and your friends to escape all the stress from the start of the semester. There’s not quite enough time to take a plane to the Bahamas, but road tripping to the Cape makes for a perfect weekend getaway. Here are some more relaxing and fun long weekend trip ideas.

Newport, Rhode Island– A perfect in-between travel spot that’s not too far away, but just close enough for a quick weekend trip. Also, Rhode Island is perfect for lazy people like me who would rather take a ferry or a bus than drive themselves. Newport is a great alternative if you’ve always wanted to go to Martha’s Vineyard, but don’t want to spend too much money. My favorite part is drooling over the gorgeous mansions by the water.

Salem, Massachusetts– If you are a Halloween fanatic, Salem is the perfect trip for your Columbus Day weekend getaway. Not only do they have unique parades with different fun themes around Halloween time, it has endless amounts of museums and tours open year round. Click here to visit the Salem haunted happenings website and start planning your spooky weekend right now! 

New York City, New York– Looking for something a little more exciting and adventurous? Everyone should experience the exciting atmosphere of Time’s Square at least once in their life. New York is ideal if your idea of a good time is some retail therapy. Not to mention, New York has the most unique shops for sweet treats and guilty dinners. If you’re looking for the inside on all the hot restaurants in New York, take a look at this website: http://www.thisisinsider.com/food 

Burlington, Vermont– Looking to get away from the busy streets and loads of tourists around the city? You can imagine the beautiful scenery Vermont has to offer, especially in the Fall. Anywhere you decide to go in Vermont is bound to be beautiful this time of year. Hiking through the changing foliage is a must see. It’s perfect for someone who’s looking for some peace and quiet and get a breath of fresh air.

Cape Cod, Massachusetts– Another affordable and close by getaway spot in New England. Rent a hotel room for the week looking over the beautiful cape water. Also make it a romantic weekend for two and get a room at one of the many bed and breakfast. What a better way to unwind then relaxing in the sun on the beach all weekend.  

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.