Jimmy Fallon: New Host of The Tonight Show

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The Tonight Show is an American late night talk show that first premiered in 1954. It is the longest, currently running, regularly scheduled program on television.

Due to the long running nature of the program, they have been through quite a few different hosts. Steve Allen hosted from 1954-57, Jack Paar from 1957-62, Johnny Carson, the show’s longest host at thirty years, was there from 1962-92. This brings us to the modern era of The Tonight Show that most of us are familiar with. Jay Leno hosted from 1992-2009, with a break when Conan O’Brien hosted for one year. Leno returned from 2010-14. And now Jimmy Fallon has just began his time as host.

Jimmy Fallon is a comedian, actor, singer, musician, and producer. Fallon was a staple cast member on Saturday Night Live from 1998-2004, before he was asked to host NBC’s Late Night. Fallon took over for Conan O’Brein in 2009, and acted as host until 2014, when NBC announced he would follow Jay Leno as host of The Tonight Show.           

The first episode premiered on February 17 at 11:30. His first week of guests included celebrities such as, Kristen Wiig, Lady GaGa, Will Ferrell, and Justin Timberlake. You can check out The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon weeknights at 11:30 on NBC! Also check out this hilarious video featuring Will Ferrell and the first lady, Michelle Obama!

Media student who loves pop culture and is almost always thinking about Harry Styles.
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.