The Importance of Going Au Naturale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

If you wouldn’t put harmful chemicals in your body, why would you put them on it?

The skin is our body’s largest organ – there’s about eight pounds and 22 square feet of it covering our body.  With so much of it, it can take on the dutiful task of protecting our body from sunlight, chemicals, infection and extreme weather.  Neglecting our skin can lead to a number of issues – like sun damage, wrinkles and skin cancer.

So, how do we best protect our skin?  Putting on sunscreen, avoiding too much sun, using gentle cleansers and eating well are all some common ways to keep your skin in good condition.  But, there’s another majorly overlooked way to keep your skin healthy: using natural skincare products.

Skincare products – whether it be soap, makeup, deodorant, lotion – are directly applied to our oh-so-important organ.  By using products that have chemicals, we’re putting our skin’s health and capabilities in jeopardy.  And the truth is, many skincare products do have a ton of harmful ingredients in it.  Look at your face wash, and chances are you’ll see a handful of long, confusing, ingredients you don’t recognize.  The Food and Drug Administration does not need to approve cosmetics and skincare before they hit the shelves, meaning manufacturers can use the ingredients that they wish.  Manufacturers are held to high standards, do complete testing of their products, and can have their products recalled, but they are not forced to use ingredients that are good for your skin. Unfortunately, the ingredients they use can result in those long and unheard of ingredients you see in your skincare.

You may be asking: are the ingredients they use really all that bad, though?  The answer is yes.  The American Cancer Society states that a number of ingredients used in skincare products have come under scrutiny for their potential negative effects. These negative effects are most often cancer-related.  Using synthetic or unnatural ingredients is often cheaper for the manufacturer, extends the shelf life and usability of the product, and can help enhance color or smells.

Some of the most commonly used toxic ingredients include Dioxane (an ingredient to make products less irritating, a carcinogen), DEA (a foaming agent that can be a carcinogen), Methylisothiazolinone (a preservative that can cause health risks and allergic reactions), and Parabens (preservatives that can lead in impaired fertility or fetal development). Check out Ecosalon  and Cosmetics Info for comprehensive lists of toxic ingredients and more information on them!

The good news: there are plenty of products out there that are gentle and made with natural ingredients.  Here’s a list of brands I use and recommend for keeping your skin in tip top shape!

Lush Cosmetics

Known for their Insta-worthy bath bombs, Lush uses a range of natural fruits, vegetables, oils, herbs, and more in their products. Their products are homemade and not tested on animals.  Everything smells good and leaves your skin looking and feeling great!

Dr. Bronner’s Soap

Dr. Bronner’s is known for their ’18-in-1’ soaps – meaning one soap can not only be used for washing your face, body, hair, and hands, but it can be used for household chores, washing pets, and more!  They’re gentle and use natural, fair-trade ingredients that are vegan and not tested on animals.

Bare Escentuals

Known for their mineral makeup brand ‘Bare Minerals’, Bare Escentuals is a company that prides themselves in natural mineral makeup.  Most of their skin products contain SPF to help protect your skin from harmful sun rays.  Their products also contain ingredients that have been approved as safe and vegan.  And they don’t test on animals!

Coconut Oil

So this may not be a brand, but it’s an overlooked gem! Unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil can be used as makeup remover, hair masks, moisturizer, and more.  It’s obviously super natural, is a great moisturizer and makes you smell great!

Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell