How to Survive an East Coast Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

This time of year, after all the excitement of the holidays has come and gone, it is easy to sink into that winter depression.  With the cold and dreary days and the schoolwork pilled high, it’s hard to imagine making it to summer.  If you’re already in this dreary state of mind, think again, there’s plenty of ways to break out and have some fun during these cold months! 

The best way to deal with the winter is to embrace the cold. It may be tempting to hide out in your dorm for the next month, but instead go out and enjoy the cool air well it lasts! This could include ice skating at the frog pond on the Commons, getting a head start on shopping for a new spring wardrobe, or taking pictures of the city right after a fallen snow. 

If you’re in the mood to get off campus, grab some friends and head up north for a ski or snowboard trip! Mount Sunapee and Waterville Valley are both within two hours of Boston and provide trails for even the most beginner skiers. If skiing or snowboarding are not your favorite activities try something new such as snow shoeing, or some good old fashioned tubing.

Getting up and out into the cold isn’t everyone cup of tea so there are plenty of indoor activities to keep you busy as well. Working out is the best way to put yourself in a better mood and raise your energy levels. So hit the gym or work out in your dorm with some awesome fitness DVD’s!  If you’re in the mood for a more laid back activity, head to the movies, go out to dinner, or treat your self to a spa day, the ultimate way to relax, brighten your mood, and save that dry skin! 

You could also find winter survival activities in your own dorm! You could catch up on your favorite shows or throw a movie night, supplied with hot chocolate, coffee, warm cookies and other soothing snacks. You could also consider taking up a new hobby such as music or poetry.

It might seem inevitable to be depressed during these tough winter months but with a city as your campus it can be easy to survive winter!

Chelsea Graham Broadcast Journalism Major Campus Celebrity Reporter
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.