Hoverboard Ban: Blessings on Blessings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

You can’t say you actually were a living human being in 2015 without being able to know what a “hoverboard” was. The flat, two wheeled contraption was the hot item of the fall, and as much as you loved to hate on them, you were dying to try one. Although the magic machine made you look horrifically lazy, some claimed that using the hoverboard promoted ab work and improved balance ability. Easily selling for a couple of hundred dollars minimum, the hoverboard was at first an item of luxury, but as the sales increased, more suppliers began creating the product and the insanity, and danger, begun. 

With new replicas of the product came new technical difficulties. With the gadget’s batteries being known to start fires and some people not being as able to master the balance as gracefully as others (leading to dangerous falls) the ban of hoverboards became the new trend of 2016. Suffolk University took their stance among colleges such as University of Massachusetts Amherst, Boston College, and Brandies among other colleges nationwide to officially ban these wheeling and rolling contraptions. It will be refreshing to see students actually walk to move from their desk to the printer in the Mildred Sawyer Library, and even more of a blessing knowing that the congestion of Suffolk’s Campus will no longer have you maneuvering your way around not just humans, but hoverboarding humans as well. No longer will your feet get run over by those unable to properly work the declining ‘hot new item.’ Although hoverboard riders across Boston, and America in total, might feel bitter over the ban of their new toys, let’s all be thankful for this formal stance.