#HeForShe Is For Everyone: Emma Watson on Feminism

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Feminist: [fem-uh-nist] A person who believes in the social, political, and economic equality of the sexes.

The definition is simple, so why is the concept difficult to grasp? The word itself creates a multitude of thoughts and feelings for people who stumble across it. And recently, people have been stumbling across it a lot. Within the past year, feminism articles and videos have been popping up all over social media, and protests for women’s rights have taken place all over the world.

The feminist movement has been around since about 1850, when women in the United States such as Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Susan B. Anthony started to become vocal about the rights that women deserved. In 1919, the 19th Amendment, which gave women the right to vote in the United States, was passed by Congress, and in 1920 was ratified. It has not even been a full century since women have had the right to vote in The United States of America. In 1963, President John F. Kennedy signed the Equal Pay Act into effect. However, 51 years later, women still only make 77 cents to every man’s dollar.

Just recently, every Republican in the Senate voted against equal pay for equal work for women. How can the United States talk about equality for everyone when half of its population is unequal?

On September 20th, Emma Watson delivered a speech at the U.N. headquarters in New York for her HeForShe gender equality campaign. The campaign aims to gather as much support from as many men and boys as possible to end gender inequality. Watson has received a tremendous amount of support and encouragement, yet still so many people do not identify themselves as feminists.

Alexandra Popken, a junior at Pace University, says that in one of her classes of 22 students, only 3 identify themselves as feminists, 2 females, and one male. A female classmate provided reasoning why she does not consider herself a feminist, stating: “I am not all about, you know, not shaving my armpits or being a man-hater. I am not a feminist but I am a woman who has strong beliefs and I see myself as equals with men”. Here is the problem: feminism has become such a dirty word due to people identifying it with the stereotypes that have plagued it since it has first come into existence. In her speech, Watson said, “Women are choosing not to identify as feminists. Apparently, I am among the ranks of women whose expressions are seen as too strong, ‘too aggressive,’ isolating and anti-men, unattractive, even. Why has the word become such an uncomfortable one?” Some men are also choosing not to identify as feminists because even claiming that they support the rights of women including mothers, sisters, and girlfriends may make them “less of a man.”

More men are stepping forward, however, saying that they proudly support the feminism movement. Actor Joseph Gordon-Levitt released videos via YouTube stating his support, and encouraging more people to become feminists. Dr. Jeffrey Ryan, a high school history teacher at Reading Memorial High School, offered his own take on why he is a feminist. His mother, Jane, worked as the Advertising Production Manager for the Harvard Business Review magazine. She enjoyed her job thoroughly and did it well, working with people from all around the world. However, she only made as much as a secretary. According to Dr. Ryan, “Jane retired from Harvard in 1991 after 40 years. Her salary was about $31,000.00 per year. The Big H subsequently hired four men to take her place and paid them all with starting salaries in the six figures. That is why I am proud to call myself a feminist.”

When asked what feminism means to them, students had something to say. Suffolk University junior Samantha Ruda said, “It’s not about hating men, it’s about fighting for women’s rights so women can be treated like we’re not these frail creatures. It means gender equality.” Loyola University junior Mary Byrne echoed Samantha’s sentiments, stating that she believes feminism means “equality.” Another Suffolk student, Nayara Da Silva, says, “Feminism means … we stop blaming [women] for being driven, passionate, and proud.”

The most important part of Watson’s speech is that in order to end gender inequality, we need women’s AND men’s help. Too often men are forgotten regarding this topic. Watson asked, “How can we affect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation?” Men also feel the burden of gender inequality, though it tends to be swept under the rug. For example, men cannot freely express themselves without being thought of as “less of a man.” The role of a father is often deemed less important than that of a mother, yet children depend on both parents.

We still have a long way to go to end gender inequality, but with the HeForShe campaign, we’re headed in the right direction. Feminism doesn’t have to be a scary word; other responses that people submitted as to what they think feminism means included “power,” “pride,” and “strength.” If you’re still unsure about identifying yourself as a feminist, ask yourself the same questions that Emma Watson did in her speech: “If not me, who? If not now, when?”

Photo provided from: http://www.wlky.com/image/view/-/28202164/highRes/2/-/maxh/480/maxw/640/…

Erin is a senior at Suffolk, majoring in public relations. She loves going out with her friends, catching up on her shows on Netflix, and although she's sad about graduating, she can't wait to see what the real world has to offer.  
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.