Health Blog: So You Want to Become A Vegetarian? Tips to do it Right!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

After going back and forth time and time again you’ve finally decided to become a vegetarian. Good for you! Soon after you begin this new dietary journey, you may start to realize it’s not as easy as you thought it would be. You find yourself constantly craving meat, your diet has become extremely boring, and you’re worried you are not getting the proper nutrients anymore. Don’t worry, being a vegetarian can be easier then you think, especially if you know the commitment you are making before you begin, so you can take it step by step from the start. 

1.) Don’t Jump Into It.
Many people spontaneously decide to become a vegetarian, which definitely isn’t the best way to go in, and often leads to failure. Start by eliminating one type of meat from your diet such as pork.  After some time, you will be ready to eliminate another type. This weaning off process will help you to gradually become a vegetarian and get rid those cravings. And don’t forget, while doing this, begin adding different vegetarian dishes to your diet as well!

2.) It Doesn’t Have To Be Boring
Now that you’ve been a vegetarian for some time you are noticing that your meals consist of the same dishes day in and day out. And not to mention, that “food boredom” is driving you crazy! But being a vegetarian doesn’t have to be boring; there are plenty of delicious and unique dishes free of meat. One great brand to try is Morning Star. They offer tons of delicious vegetarian options such as, veggie tacos, veggie burgers, veggie patties, and much more, which you can find in the frozen foods section of your supermarket. If you enjoy cooking your own meals, check out the vegetarian section of foodnetwork.com there are tons of great recipes and new ones are always being added!

3.) Keeping a Healthy Diet
When you take meat out of your diet you loose a lot of necessary proteins and vitamins, but there are other ways to get those nutrients your body needs. Fruits and vegetables should always be a part of anyone’s diet, but the ones you will receive the greatest nutrients from are berries, such as rasberries, strawberries, and blueberries.  It is also important to make up for the protein you will be missing. Dairy products such as milk, cheese, and yogurt are great alternatives for your protein source. Also, try nuts, (almonds would be the best choice) beans, tofu and other soy products for protein fillers.

Famous Vegetarians
Dianna Agron, Kristen Bell, Bob Dylan, Albert Einstein, Anne Hathaway, Dustin Hoffman, Lea Michele, Kate Moss, Prince, Carrie Underwood

Chelsea Graham Broadcast Journalism Major Campus Celebrity Reporter
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.