Going Back To Riverdale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Okay, wow if you’re a fan of Riverdale (which if you aren’t, I’m not sure why you’re reading this) and you saw the premiere of season two, than you know a whole lot went down for those crazy, moody teens in the insane town that is Riverdale. I mean, I have no idea where to start, but I guess there’s no better start than the very beginning.

Season one left off with a few of the most intense cliffhangers on television. Let’s be honest, Archie’s dad got shot and no one really understood what the heck was going on, or whether he was alive or dead. Cheryl burnt down her house in a fit of craziness. Jughead’s dad went to jail and he got offered a Southside Serpent jacket (while very nearly hooking up with Betty as the time, awkward). We found out Mr. Blossom killed his own son and that family just keeps getting crazier, even though Mr. Blossom ended up taking his own life (all of this, which ended up with Cheryl burning the house down, you know?)

And now we’re back with so many more unanswered questions! Who shot Archie’s dad? And why? Is Cheryl okay? Should someone go check on her…. Again? Is Jughead joining the Serpents? Is Bughead going to make it through all the drama? Let’s hope so because Betty and Jughead are perfect together. Wow. What the heck happened to Cheryl’s mom? How’d she end up in the hospital with all the burns when she wasn’t in the house when Cheryl burned it down (okay, I know that was answered in the episode, kind of, but I need more details)? What in the world is going on with Veronica’s family? That scene between her and her mom in the episode was rather intense…. The parent-child dynamics in this town are super messed up with every family to be honest.

I’m probably going to forget to cover about a million things that happened in the episode, so bear with me, I will try my best. Apparently, someone is out to get Archie because they deliberately went after his dad and not Archie himself (and then the cliffhanger at the end of the episode! Ms. Grundy! What the heck?) Cheryl is kind of black mailing and controlling her own mother, which is absolutely insane. I mean Penelope Blossom nearly died in that fire and then Cheryl nearly killed her in the hospital just to show she had control. That family needs some help, really.

The Lodges are cooking up something evil, Veronica’s dad is back in town, her mom is trying to control her in a very un-parental way and being super cryptic about whether or not she knew what had happened to Archie’s dad. And overall that whole family confuses me but we all know Mr. Lodge has got nothing good up his sleeve.

In other news, everyone’s favorite couple seems to be doing just fine. Betty and Jughead talked a bunch of things through and they seem to be super happy, which is great. Even though he’ll be attending a different school soon, they’re going to make sure everything works out fine. We also got a (kind of weird) steamy shower scene with Archie and Veronica, and they have so much going on in their lives that I was a little confused with the timing, but I guess this is Riverdale and they need to make sure there’s a nice steamy shower scene every once in a while, right?

New episodes of Riverdale air every Wednesday at 8pm on The CW.

Big fan of most things involving music, photography superhero & TV shows.
Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.