photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Giving Back For Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As the Thanksgiving season approaches, everyone is making plans to meet with family, buying plane tickets, and figuring out a cute fall outfit to wear when you see all your old high school friends back home. With these distractions, it’s easy to get lost in the excitement of getting a break from classes and forget about the meaning of the season. Thanksgiving is a time not only to tell your family, friends, and loved ones how much they mean to you, but also to be willing to make sacrifices and give back to the greater community. There are many ways you can get involved this Thanksgiving, such as serving at soup kitchens for those who don’t have the means to feast with family under a warm roof. If you’ll be around campus during Thanksgiving, or want to participate in service before the break, read more to find out how you can give back.

1. New England Center for Homeless Veterans

Volunteer opportunities include preparing and serving meals for homeless war veterans. Help is accepted any time that works for you. Also, they are always accepting food, clothing and supply donations. Consider clearing out your closet and pantries this fall to help these deserving vets.

2. Boston Living Center Thanksgiving Dinner

This year, the Boston Living Center celebrates their 25th year running. They work to bring people living and struggling with HIV/AIDS and their families together and provide a community of support. Each Thanksgiving, they celebrate life by holding a fun Thanksgiving dinner event for people with the disease and their loved ones. Sign up with friends to volunteer doing anything from coat check to serving food to being a sponsor and raising money for the organization.

3. Donate to Greater Boston Food Bank

Most of us are fortunate enough to feast on Thanksgiving, but many of our neighbors are not financially able. If you can, why not help them? Donating $20 will provide 5 less fortunate people in the Greater Boston area with a nutritious Thanksgiving meal that they will remember for a lifetime. Rather than spending the $20 on an uber ride, take the T and feed five people this Thanksgiving.

4. Volunteer at Greater Boston Food Bank

There are many volunteer opportunities as well at the Greater Boston Food Bank, such as helping to unload and sort deliveries. Shifts are typically three hours, so go next time you and your friends have the day off – you’ll feel good afterwards for helping such a great cause. 5.

5. Rosie’s Place

“Rosie’s Place was founded in 1974 as the first women’s shelter in the United States. Our mission is to provide a safe and nurturing environment that helps poor and homeless women maintain their dignity, seek opportunity and find security in their lives.” This woman’s shelter is always in need of volunteers to help out, and donations of supplies like clothing and toiletries.

Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell