The month of December is a magical month filled with excitement and anticipation for Christmas. We all have certain traditions during this season that we hold near and dear to our hearts. I, for one, decorate the Christmas tree with my mother every year, while drinking eggnog and watching Rudolf. This year, for most of us in the dorms, will be the first year we are away from our families and homes during the Christmas season. My mom sent me a picture of the tree just the other day, and I realized that I was missing out on celebrating Christmas because I was so focused on class and finals. We might not be able to chop down a tree and bring it into the dorms, but there are still plenty of ways to celebrate the Christmas season when you’re still in school! So, here is a list of ways that you and your friends can celebrate Christmas in the dorms:
· Decorate. Everything. The best way to get into the Christmas spirit is to decorate the entire dorm. Go to the dollar store, and get wrapping paper, bows, ornaments, and a fake Christmas tree. The more sparkle, the better!
· Build a gingerbread house. A gingerbread making kit is an inexpensive and easy to find item. Crafting a gingerbread house gives you and your friends a reason to get together, eat sweets, and decorate with frosting. What could be more fun!
· Listen to Christmas music. At the end of a long day, when everyone is finally back from class, throw on some Christmas music! People will enjoy singing along to old favorites and forget about the huge test they have the next day.
· Watch Christmas movies. One night, my suitemates and I literally had a Christmas movie marathon. We started with Elf, and got through Rudolf, Polar Express, The Grinch, and ended with A Christmas Carol. It was SO fun singing along to old favorite songs and watching kid movies with caramel popcorn and eggnog!
· Go ice-skating (on frog pond): Everyone get bundled up in their cutest cold weather attire, and pre-game with hot chocolate and warm Christmas cookies. Then go have a blast falling down and prancing around the pond with all your friends!
· Do Secret Santa or a Yankee Swap: This is one of the most fun things you can do. Set a price limit (because let’s face it were all broke college kids), and everyone buy a funny or really cute gift. Right before everyone leaves for break, put on Christmas music, make Christmas drinks and cookies, and gather all of your friends. Then have a blast exchanging presents and laughs as you bond with your amazing dorm family!
No matter what you do, make sure you do something. You will be away from all of your friends for a month! You have plenty of time to go home and have a blast with your old friends and family. Be sure to make time for your new friends and be sure to make lasting memories!