Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

I honestly don’t know where to begin. Fantastic Beasts completely exceeded all expectations. It was magical beyond belief and quite frankly, if it doesn’t win an Oscar or something, I’ll be amazed.

Now, my opinions may be a little biased because I’m the biggest Harry Potter fan I’ve ever met (I went to the movies in full-on Hogwarts gear but left my wand and robe at home so I wouldn’t scare my fellow T passengers on the way to the theater). Here’s the thing, lot’s of people that saw it during the premier and even wrote reviews and all of that have said that it doesn’t measure up to the rest of the Potter films and I disagree completely. It fits perfectly in the Harry Potter franchise.

To anyone that has no idea what I’m talking about (where have you been) Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find them is the next film (and book) in the Harry Potter franchise, but it does not include any familiar faces from the main Potter stories because it’s based in the 20s. The Harry Potter books and movies are based in the 90s (Harry was born in 1980, if that helps).

The movie is centered around Newt Scamander (played by Eddie Redmayne) who has entered New York city with a case full of, you guessed it, fantastic beasts. Scamander is mentioned a few times in the main Potter films/books as the author of the textbook, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them. You can check out a full trailer here.

Fantastic Beasts was hilarious, heartbreaking, suspenseful, full of plot-twists, magical, romantic, and had everyone on the edge of their seat from start to finish. Everything you could ever hope for in any movie. If you’ve never seen a Harry Potter movie (how dare you) or maybe you didn’t like them that much (again, how dare you) or you’re a big fan like myself, I guarantee you will love this film. I attended the movie with a friend who’s never really been into HP yet she even said it was one of the best movies she’s ever seen.

The special effects were stunning and so realistic. There was true magic going on in that theater. Everything from the creatures to the epic battle scene to even the small spells were done so perfectly. The cast was also flawless, Redmayne made a perfect Scamander capturing his geeky awkward charm while Katherine Waterston made an amazing Tina, a serious yet compassionate Auror. On the other hand, Ezra Miller probably deserves an Oscar or something after his performance as Credence, there are no words. He was simply amazing.

Add a bit more magic to your life and don’t miss out on all the cute beasties! Make sure you see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them as soon as you can!

Big fan of most things involving music, photography superhero & TV shows.