Everything You Need to Know About RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 10 Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

This past Thursday was the season premiere of RuPaul’s Drag Race, which marked 10 years of the Emmy award-winning show being on air and it’s still just as iconic as ever! It’s only the first episode and I can already tell that this season is gonna be filled with iconic looks and drama that will leave all viewers gagged!

(From left to right: The Vixen, Blair St. Clair, Asia O’Hara, Dusty Ray Bottoms, Eureka O’Hara, Kalorie Karbdashian Williams, Yuhua Hamasaki, Kameron Michaels, Monét X Change, Monique Heart, Vanessa Vanjie Mateo, Miz Cracker, Mayhem Miller and Aquaria)

The queens competing this season already show a wide range of drag and their entrance looks proved just that. From classic Broadway-bound looks to glamorous diva gowns, each queen made sure to leave their mark as they came into the workroom. This seasons cast is extremely diverse in the sense that half of the cast are people of color and while there are a lot of strong queens from New York, there’s still an accurate representation of different kinds of drag across the country.

Right off the bat, RuPaul made the queens prove themselves first in a dance down the runway while queens of past seasons watched and silently, and sometimes not so silently, judged them as they made their way down. While some queens killed the runway, and some killed everyone with boredom, Monét X Change wins the mini challenge, making all the viewers back at home keep an eye on her for the rest of the episode and season.

While the queens enjoyed a light reading session at the beginning of the episode, the real tea between Aquaria and Miz Cracker came out while the girls were getting ready for the mainstage. Aquaria told the queens that Miz Cracker is notorious for “copying” her looks and proved that theory when she looked over to Miz Cracker and saw that she was doing her makeup the same way Aquaria was. From the looks of this, Aquaria and Miz Cracker won’t be participating in RuPaul’s Best Friend Race anytime soon.

For the main challenge, the queens had to make outfits out of objects from the dollar store, proving once again, that to succeed on drag race you NEED to know how to sew, no matter who you are. After the queens showed off their dollar-store realness on the mainstage and right before the judge’s critiques, RuPaul surprised the queens with Christina Aguilera as a celebrity guest judge and used her song “Ain’t No Other Man” as this week’s lipsync song.

After the judges deliberated, Mayhem Miller was crowned the winner of this week’s challenge while Kalorie Karbdashian Williams and Vanessa Vanjie Mateo were in the bottom. After an epic lipsync, Kalorie was deemed safe and Vanessa was sent home. Overall, this week’s episode was an amazing start to the season and I can’t wait to see all the drama between Aquaria and Miz Cracker unfold (and have more drama be started) this season! Make sure to catch RuPaul’s Drag Race Season 10 Thursday’s at 8 on Vh1!  

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.