Everything You Need to Know about the Bachelor Finale

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

This season of the Bachelor had one of the most heartbreaking endings in Bachelor history. The network split the finale into a two day event with the 3- hour finale this past Monday March 5th, and a 2-hour After the Final Rose special this past Tuesday March 6th. Through the tears, the drama, and the tragic heartbreak, it was an event that couldn’t be missed. But if you missed it, here’s everything you need to know.

The Finale

On the three hour finale, Arie Luyendyk Jr. introduced his final two women, Rebecca Kufrin and Lauren Burnham to his family and had one more 1-on-1 date with each girl before making the decision that would change his life (and hers) forever. At this point Arie had told BOTH women “I love you” which is a big no no in the world of the Bachelor! However, through the episode it became clear that even though he “loved” Becca he was utterly infatuated with Lauren. I thought he would pick her without hesitation.

However, it was Lauren who stepped out of the Limo first when it came time for the proposal, which is Bachelor code for “I’m not picking you.”  Arie said a heartbreaking goodbye to Lauren, yet still said “I love you” as she got back in the limo, which again, is a no no! Becca then came out of the limo and was proposed to by Arie who said “I will choose you, everyday.” I was thrilled he chose Becca, but I felt as though the proposal was forced and Arie just didn’t seem happy.

The last hour of the finale is where the most controversy sparked. Producer’s told Becca they were going to film her and Arie for a “happy couple’s weekend” but that couldn’t be further from the truth. In reality, Arie, in front of all the cameras, broke off his engagement to Becca because he wanted to get back together with Lauren, in hopes she’d give him a second chance. Becca was mortified, embarrassed and heartbroken, and I admire her strength and patience with Arie. I don’t think this should have been broadcasted for all to see and more importantly, Arie should not have proposed to Becca if he was unsure about his feelings.

After the Final Rose

My heart could simply not handle any more heartbreak of this season after the finale, but there was still more to come. The After the Final Rose special showed viewers how Arie, Lauren, and Becca are doing after all the drama.

Becca came to speak and she is such a classy, respectful, and beautiful person. She bravely faced talking to Arie for the first time since their break-up and kindly forgave him. We also saw a clip of Lauren agreeing to give Arie a second chance and after their turn in the hot seat talking to Chris Harrison, Arie got down on one knee and proposed to Lauren. I’m definitely happy for them, but I just wish Arie had proposed to Lauren from the get go.

The best part of the After the Final Rose special was the announcement of the next Bachelorette. It’s going to be… wait for it… it’s really exciting…. It’s Becca! I’m so excited for her to get a second chance at love, she deserves it. She even got to meet four of the men going to be on her season.

All in all, I’m sort of relieved Arie’s season is finally over, and even though it was drama-filled, I’m glad everything worked out at the end. I’m so looking forward to Becca being the Bachelorette. As Becca would say, “Let’s do the damn thing!”

Julia Demopoulos is a senior at Suffolk University majoring in print/web journalism and minoring in public relations. She is originally from Dracut, MA but currently resides in East Boston. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk, Julia is also the Vice President for Program Council, Suffolk's programming board on campus. She is also an active member of Suffolk's Journey Leadership Program. Julia works in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a Trustee Ambassador (tour guide), and was an Orientation leader for Summer 2019.