DYI Valentine’s Day Gifts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

It may be hard to believe, but yet another Valentine’s Day is right around the corner. Instead of rushing to a store and getting your guy a gift that a thousand other guys will get that day, why not be creative and give him a gift he will always remember. There are hundreds of DIY ideas for all occasions on the Internet. I pulled together a few of my favorite Valentine’s ones to share with you.

1.    The Man Basket

Gift baskets are one of those things that are fun to make, fun to give, and fun to get. There are so many ways you can put together gift baskets for that special guy in your life.

For those of you who are over 21, you can make a fun gift basket filled with all different nips.

For this basket, you will need:

·      A basket/pot & a filler

·      Variety of nips

·      Hot glue gun

·      Skewer sticks

To create this basket:

·      Decorate and stuff the basket as desired. Does your guy have a favorite color or sports team? It would be fun to incorporate that into the gift!

·      Carefully glue each nip to the stick, and when fully dried, insert into the basket. Arrange to your desire.

If you have a fitness fanatic man, swap out the nips for healthy alternatives. Things you can put in the basket are:

·      Samples of different proteins

·      Protein & power bars

·      Protein shakers & scoops

·      Jump rope

·      Sports watch

·      Healthy snacks (almonds, trail mix, etc.)

You can make baskets full of literally anything. One of my favorites to make and receive is a movie themed basket. These are usually filled with a movie or two, popcorn and candy, and some sort of beverage. This could double as a gift as well as a fun date night on Valentine’s Day!

2.    Recycled drinking glasses

Instead of tossing out tons of beer bottles every weekend, why not recycle them into a Valentine’s Day gift.

For this you will need:

·      Beer bottles of various sorts

·      String

·      Lighter fluid

·      Lighter

·      Sand Paper

·      Rubber gloves (optional, but recommended)

To create this:

·      Dip a piece of string long enough to go around the bottle in lighter fluid.

·      Tie the string just above where the label on the beer bottle ends, closest to the top.

·      Holding the bottle away from you, light the string on fire, and rotate the bottle.

·      You should hear a crack, and when you do put the bottle under cold running water and the top of the bottle will fall off.

·      Sand the edges until smooth, and there you have it…brand new drinking glasses!

3.    52 Things I Love About You

This next DIY present really comes from the heart. It’s super adorable and easy to make.

For this gift you need:

·      A deck of cards

·      Ribbon

·      Hole puncher

·      Paper

·      Markers & Pens

·      Glue

·      Scissors

To create this gift, start by punching two holes on the same side of every card. You may want to measure and mark the spots so they each come out evenly. Next, decide what you want to write on each card. The idea here is to write “52 things I love about you.” Write or print them out on paper, cut them out, and set them aside. Now tie a ribbon through the holes securely holding the deck of cards in place. Now you can glue each of the pieces of paper onto the cards and decorate however you wish. And that is it!

These are only some of the many DIY gifts you can give on Valentine’s Day. Guys, if you are reading this, the themes can be reversed and given to your lady too! Just swap out the beer bottles for wine bottles, and the nips for perfume samples. You can find many more ideas on websites such as Pinterest and Etsy. What special gift are you making this Valentine’s Day?

Photo Credit

http://undressedskeleton.tumblr.com/page/7 http://iamthetrend.com/2010/11/22/25-awesome-guy-gifts-for-under-25/

http://www.mibba.com/Tutorials/Art/6545/52-Things-I-Love-About-You/

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.  
Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.