A Day Without Women

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Can you imagine a day without women? Well, you don’t have to try to hard to imagine it because it will be real life this Wednesday, March 8th. And it is sure to be chaotic.

Feminist organizers across the world have decided that women will go on a one-day strike on March 8th… which is coincidentally International Women’s Day.

Organizers are calling women to stop working in whatever way they can, by taking the entire day off. Women’s absence is sure to be felt in the workplace, but that’s not only where it will be felt. Organizers are calling that women stop unpaid labor as well, such as cooking and house cleaning. The unity of striking between public and domestic roles makes this a very powerful movement.

Of course there are some instances where striking is impossible. So if you can’t strike, you can wear red in solidarity. Women are also being asked to refrain from shopping unless at women or minority owned businesses.

Men can participate too! Organizers are asking men to help out with housework, wear red and give women paid days off if they are in a position to do so.

Inspired by the love, liberation, and confidence from the Women’s March, over 35 different countries are participating. The Facebook page has over 700,000 followers, where rallies and marches are being organized to push back against systemic inequality.

“On International Women’s Day, March 8th, women and our allies will act together for equity, justice and the human rights of women and all gender-oppressed people, through a one-day demonstration of economic solidarity.”

“Let’s raise our voices together again, to say that women’s rights are human rights, regardless of a woman’s race, ethnicity, religion, immigration status, sexual identity, gender expression, economic status, age or disability.”

To learn more about a Day Without a Woman, visit their website https://www.womensmarch.com/womensday/