Countdown to Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

The countdown for the long-awaited Gilmore Girls revival is well underway as we now have less than a month to wait. How exciting? If you’re not familiar already, Gilmore Girls ran for 7 long and successful seasons from 2000-2007. Now, nearly 10 years later, Netflix has put together a four-part mini-series bringing back everyone’s favorite mother-daughter duo.

On November 25th at 12:01 am Pacific time, all four episodes will be uploaded onto the Netflix streaming service and they will be on there exclusively. So, if for whatever reason you still don’t have Netflix, this is a great excuse to get a subscription.

The first trailer for the series was uploaded on October, 25th here and got long time fans so excited for Nov. 15th.

There isn’t a lot of information about the plot of the mini-series but they have let everyone know the cast members that will be making a comeback. That of course includes the three women that run the show; Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham), Rory Gilmore (Alexis Bledel), and Emily Gilmore (Kelly Bishop). There will also be comebacks from each of Rory’s boyfriends on the show (Dean, Jesse, and Logan) as well as town favorites like Luke, Sookie, Lane, and Kirk. 

It’s also been made public knowledge that the show will be paying tribute to the late Edward Hermann who played Rory’s grandfather.

To celebrate the return to Stars Hallow, let’s have a look back at some of the best moments on the show over it’s 7 seasons.

It all starts off with Rory being accepted to Chilton and going behind her mother’s back to get money from her grandparents. This sets off the seven-year long tradition of both Rory and her mother attending dinner at the Gilmore’s every Friday night.

The entire show is about the dynamic duo that is Rory and her mother and follows the story of Rory going through high school and then college. Some of the series’ best moments:

They Shoot Gilmores, Don’t They (Season 3, Episode 7)

This episode ties all the best bits of Gilmore Girls into a single episode. There’s a town function (a dance contest), lots of coffee drinking, a heartbreak when Rory’s first boyfriend breaks up with her, and also some amazing mother-daughter bonding.

A-Tisket, A-Tasket (Season 2, Episode 13)

Another amazing town function, where the women all make picnic baskets and the guys bid on them. Rory and Lorelai both have boys fighting over their baskets but Sookie ends up the real winner when Jackson proposes.

Those Are Strings, Pinocchio (Season 3, Episode 22)

Rory graduates from Chilton and everybody comes to watch. She gives the valedictorian speech being sure to thank her grandparents and her mother. Everyone cries (even Luke a little bit) and it’s a really heart-felt moment.

The Lorelais First Day At Yale (Season 4, Episode 2)

Rory moves into Yale and immediately misses her mother, need I say more why this episode is great? Lot’s of great mother-daughter bonding going on in this episode.

Let Me Hear Your Balalaikas Ringing Out (Season 6, Episode 8)

Yes, I skipped a whole lot of Logan-filled episodes, but I’m on team Jess, so I don’t care. This is one of the best episodes because Jess comes back after being gone for a long time and has amazing news – he’s written a book. He also finds out Rory dropped out of Yale and he pretty much tells her off and to stop acting like someone she’s not. After this she decides to pull herself back together and eventually goes back to school and ends her feud with her mom, way to go Jess!

Now, to end off this list I wanted to include a moment from the last season, but the last season was written by a different person and lot’s of fans chose not to count it as cannon. In any case the best episode of the season is by far the last when Rory finds out she got a job covering Obama’s campaign and it’s filled with a ton of bittersweet moments as the town figures out how to say goodbye to their favorite child.

Big fan of most things involving music, photography superhero & TV shows.