Colbey Kennedy: Volleyball Superstar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

Many records have been set or broken in the history of the Rams athletics, but this year, Senior Colbey Kennedy set the record for being the first player in the Suffolk University volleyball program history to record 1,000 career digs.

Name: Colbey Kennedy

Year of Graduation: 2014

Major: Marketing, with double minor in International Business and Management

Volley Ball Position: Libero/DS

Hometown: Old Lyme, CT

LC: How does it feel to have set this record?

Colbey: It’s an amazing feeling. When I came to Suffolk I knew I was going to be playing volleyball, but never knew I would break a record by my senior year. Its something that all liberos in college aspire to reach, and I’m just so thrilled to have accomplished it! Of course it wouldn’t have been possible without such amazing teammates playing their hearts out and working together.

LC: How long have you been playing volleyball?

Colbey: I started playing volleyball back in 7th grade, so it has been a huge part of my life for 10 years now!

LC: Do you have any funny/interesting stories of your volleyball career?

Colbey: I have many stories over the years. But to sum it all up, if you watch me play your more than likely to see me fall on my face, trip over my own feet, and just be completely ungraceful. It’s come to the point where people don’t ask if I’m okay when I fall given it happens so often!

LC: Would you consider this to be the best moment of your VB career? If not what is? 

Colbey: This is absolutely the best moment of my VB career. It was such an amazing feeling to see the post that I was the first in the history of Suffolk to record 1000 digs. The coolest part was that I also broke the record in CT, where I am from, so my whole family was able to witness it. It was truly a memorable moment.

LC: Plans for after Suffolk?

Colbey: My plan is to move onto grad school hopefully out in San Francisco or Washington DC, but it is still up in the air.

Hey! I'm Lisa and I am a senior at Suffolk. I am a Public Relations major with a minor in marketing.