Clothing Timeline: What’s Acceptable to Wear and WHEN!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

As we transition into the slightly warmer than winter, but not yet spring months, many of us tend to find ourselves entering fashion limbo. During this time, it’s still cold enough where you can get away with wearing a wool pea coat, but you’re itching to ditch the heavy clothes and get to all the spring styles that retailers have already put out. Here’s some advice: don’t be that girl wearing Old Navy flip-flops with her winter coat. Follow our clothing timeline on what’s appropriate and when, and avoid being a walking cliché!

February:
Despite the fact that this winter has been unusually warm, February is not sandal time. Dress for the cold weather: warm coats, insulated boots, gloves, etc. If you’re sick of the winter boots (which are specifically designed for colder weather and snow, in other words a shoe that is more practical than it isfashionable) and are looking for a lighter shoe, try sneakers. Brightly colored Converse and Keds are shoes that aren’t as heavy as boots, and are acceptable to wear even if it is still in the winter months.

Lighter dresses can be worn with a sweater and tall leather or suede boots to make them winter appropriate, but white, eyelet, and nautical dresses look silly covered up under colder weather sweaters. The same rule applies for skirts.

I recently read an article in Vogue that said that the “no white jeans after labor day” rule is dead, but unless you’re particularly fashionable and can rock it, this look can be difficult to master. Swap lighter denim for a bright color like primary red or blue to keep things fresh but avoid looking out of season.

March:
This is the month where fashion lines tend to get the most blurred. Depending on the weather, it may seem acceptable to be in flip flops by the end of March, but instead you should opt for a ballet flat and save your flip flops for mid-April. The weather still may be cold enough for Uggs, but the end of March is a little late in the year to be rocking winter boots. My rule of thumb on the Ugg and winter boot debate is that after the official first day of spring, (March 20th) put them away. Even if it’s a little colder, wearing winter boots in spring just looks wrong.

This is also the month where it becomes acceptable to ditch the North Face and Patagonia’s and wear a lighter jacket, like denim or cargo. A particular favorite look of mine this year is to wear ablazer as an early spring jacket. It looks incredibly refined and polished over jeans. Enjoy any fur pieces you have, whether they be full on coats or accessories that are trimmed with it, because fur past this month makes you look a little crazy. The key to staying stylish this month is dressing appropriately for the weather, but still consider what time of the year it is.

April
My personal favorite. This month is great because it is now that the weather really starts to warm up (or so we hope!) Once it’s above 60 degrees, it’s okay to start wearing items like capris, sandals, floral dresses, and summer wedges (pedicure required!) You don’t want to immediately jump from your winter wardrobe to your summer, so slowly incorporate summery pieces into your outfits. Wear a white dress but with tall leather boots, or a bright, short skirt with a neutral sweater andflats. Your wardrobe’s transition shouldn’t be harsh, but graceful. This way, when the weather really warms up, your summer clothes still look new. Try to avoid mixing items that are seasonal extremes, like the flip flop-pea coat combination mentioned earlier. Trust me, there’s nothing tackier than a girl who doesn’t understand why bare toes and a bundled upper half isn’t appropriate.

May
The first month when you’ll catch yourself complaining about the heat! Full on summer clothes are now completely acceptable. Under no circumstances is it ok to wear winter boots now! I know how easy it is to slip your feet into a pair of Uggs on a chilly summer night, but resist the urge ladies! Key pieces for this summer are pastels, loose, airy fits, and lots of maxi dresses. On cooler nights, a light sweater (no wool) looks adorable with denim shorts, and lighter scarves can still be worn. Other than that, clothes made with heavier fabrics will look and make you feel uncomfortable. Also, keep your light pieces appropriate. Remember, the only cheeks people want to see are the ones on your face.

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.