Blue Soles in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

After the frigid winter we’ve had this year, it excites me to be able to say that the warm weather is finally here (or on it’s way)! As we know in New England, the spring season can be an awkward time of year when it comes to what to wear on your feet. It’s too warm for boots, but still a little chilly for sandals. Ballet flats are the perfect option for this in-between weather.

Ballet flats are my go-to casual shoes for any weather, but as much as I love them, I always have one painful complaint about them, and that is: breaking them in. I know a lot of people have this issue as well. It doesn’t matter if I spend $5 or $500 dollars on ballet flats, because either way I know I’m guaranteed to get sore blisters and throbbing feet hen I first begin wearing them…until now. Tieks by Gavrieli have magically solved all my ballet flat woes, and I couldn’t be happier about it.

Recently, photos of Tieks have been popping up on the likes of my Instagram and Twitter quite frequently, mostly by people on the West Coast showing off their cute new pair of flats. Even Oprah Winfrey has been raving about them! As I was on the hunt for a new pair of flats anyway, I decided to try them out. They arrived in the mail quickly and came in the cutest little teal blue box, with a flower on top, and a personalized, hand written note inside. The flats are made from Italian leather as soft as butter, and have a foldable, split-sole design in the most refreshing color of teal that makes them perfectly portable. I couldn’t wait to try wear them, but with my past history of ballet flats, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t a bit nervous for any blisters I may have to suffer from as I broke them in.

Well, I wore my Tieks all around Boston the first day I got them. I wore them around the Boston Common, through the Public Garden, up Newbury Street, and down Boylston Street. I wore them grocery shopping in Trader Joe’s, and I wore them to class later on. Not only did I feel like I was wearing spa slippers all day, but that night I was blister free AND pain free! These shoes require no excruciating breaking-in. They are ready to wear the minute they are taken out of the box. It’s no wonder Oprah likes these shoes-she is a busy woman and definitely does not have time to waste breaking in new ballet flats! In fact, the most problematic thing about these shoes is trying to decide which pair to add to your wardrobe out of all the gorgeous colors and prints available (I went with Copperhead Snake, as seen above!)

If you are in search of a new pair of everyday flats, Tieks are the answer. They are the perfect shoes to run around the city in, and they are shoes that can keep up with our busy lives. If we’re being completely honest here, they are like the Louboutins of the ballet flat world! Hopefully more people will be blazing a trail of blue prints around Boston sooner rather than later!

Originally from Connecticut, Erica attends Suffolk University in Boston, Massachusetts. She is a senior, majoring in public relations, and minoring in marketing. She founded Suffolk's chapter of Her Campus along with co-Campus Correspondent, Mackenzie Newcomb. has interned at a few start-up companies including Quincy Apparel and Good to Go Organics. She was also a public relations intern at Regan Communications Group, and is currently the advertising/marketing intern at The Improper Bostonian Magazine. Erica also works on Newbury Street at Jack Wills University Outfitters, a British clothing company that is expanding across America. She is very interested in the world of fashion, and hopes to make it big doing marketing/PR for a fashion magazine or as a publicist in New York City or LA upon graduation. In her free time, she enjoys shopping, hanging out with friends, going to the beach, reading, writing, and dancing.