The Best Shows To Binge Watch Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

With the end of the semester right around the cornerfinally—it’s time to get your priorities in check. It’s time to find the best shows to binge watch over break. That’s funny, you thought I was going to say study? Ugh, well, I guess that too.

These shows are the best of the best to spend your free month engrossed in.

House of Cards

Available On: Netflix

Seasons: 2 / Still on air

Already Watched? Try: The West Wing or Scandal

This Netflix Original series focuses on Senator Frank Underwood, played by Kevin Spacey. The political drama centers around Underwood’s thirst for power and the people he burns to get to the top.

If you’re looking to become completely engrossed in a show this is the show for you. There’s currently only two seasons but the third season will premiere in February. Unlike cable shows, Netflix uploads the entire season at onceso catch up while you can!

30 Rock

Available On: Netflix

Seasons: 7 / Complete

Already Watched? Try: Parks and Recreation or Community

30 Rock is easily one of the most underrated comedies. Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin in one show; Why do you even need to watch anything else? Seriously though, 30 Rock is one of the funniest shows I’ve ever watched. The show follows the antics of Tina Fey’s character Liz Lemon, a writer for a variety show on NBC.

Many of your NBC favorites make cameos in the show throughout its 7 seasons. 30 Rock is perfect if you’re looking for some laughs over break.

Arrow

Available On: Netflix, Hulu, CW.com

Seasons: 3 / Still on air

Already Watched? Try: The Flash or Smallville

Last summer, I decided I was going to give Arrow a trybest decision ever. The CW series is based off of the DC Comic, The Green Arrow. The show’s main character, Oliver Queen aka The Arrow, returned to his city after being shipwrecked on an island for 5 years. After seeing the condition of his beloved city he takes matters into his own hands and becomes a vigilante.

The show is currently airing its 3rd season, and the previous seasons are available on Netflix. The fairly new series has done surprisingly well for a show on The CW. It’s a must watch!

Friday Night Lights

Available On: Netflix

Seasons: 5 / Complete

Already Watched? Try: Parenthood or One Tree Hill

Well, I’m not truly speaking from personal experience on this one. Yes, I’ll admit I’ve never seen the entire series. I’ve only seen one episode but if my mother and roommateand half of my twitter followersare anything to go by, this show is a must watch. My mom discovered Netflix this summer but refuses to watch anything other than Friday Night LightsI’m serious, she’s watched it 3 times through.

The show is all about a small town football team from Dillion, Texas. To these people, high school football is their life. You’d think it was the NFL. If you’re into the whole high school experience/love/sports type of show, you’ll love it.

After my one episode experience this past Thanksgiving break, I’m going to binge watch it next. Wish me luck.

Freaks and Geeks

Available On: Netflix

Seasons: 1 / Complete

Already Watched? Try: Undeclared or It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia

One hit wonder is the only thing that comes to mind when I think of the short lived Freaks and Geeks. This cult favorite has been referred to as the beginning of the careers of some great actors including: James Franco, Seth Rogan, Jason Segal, Busy Philips, and many more. The show only made it through one season–it’s definitely an easy watch.

The show deals with being a teenager in the 80s. There are the freaksRogan, Franco, and Segeand there are the geeksJohn Francis Daley and Martin Starr.

This comedy was unfortunately cancelled after one short season. If you love it check out two of the other options I suggested.

The Newsroom

Available On: HBOgo, Xfinity On Demand

Seasons: 3 / Still on air

Already Watched? Try: House of Cards and Homeland

If Frank Underwood from House Of Cards was a journalist, he’d be The Newsroom’s Will McAvoy. The Newsroom is my current obsession. It allows me to geek out over my love for journalism, and watch quality TV.

Will McAvoy is the nightly news anchor on Atlantic Cable News, think NBC’s Brian Williams if he was on cable. Will’s ex-girlfriend Mackenzie becomes his new producer and both go on a quest to make the news better. It’s so addicting and one of the best quality TV shows I’ve ever watched.

The show is currently in it’s final season, so you better start watching now. Unfortunately you won’t find this show on Netflix, so pester one of your friends into giving you their HBOgo login ASAP.

Journalism student in Boston / Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Suffolk. I'm into politics, pop music, and parks. I tweet about TV and lipstick. @nikkimfell