16 Ways to Thank Yourself this Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Suffolk chapter.

By: Lily Zappulla

Just when the semester seems unbearable and you can’t seem to find the motivation to keep going, Thanksgiving is the light at the end of a tunnel. So instead of denying yourself that slice of pie or stressing about your upcoming exams, follow these 16 steps to fully treat yourself. After all, you’ve earned it.

1. Stop the calorie counting, just for one meal. It’s okay to indulge yourself! Have that second scoop of mashed potatoes and absolutely drown it in gravy. You deserve it.

1. Thanksgiving comes around just once a year. So put down the phone and engage in conversation. Twitter can wait, but reconnecting with family cannot. Be present, you’ll be glad did.

1. Yeah, parents can be annoying and families are loud and maybe your grandma still gives you wet kisses square on the lips and leaves lipstick residue all over your mouth… But think of all of the soldiers who are unable to make it home to see their families this Thanksgiving. For their sake, let your three crazy aunts interrogate you about your love-life for a solid 20 minutes and try to love every moment of it. Try.

1. Fun fact: cranberries are essentially magic. Not only are they delicious, but they also act as a natural skin toner, combat acne, and promote hair growth. So go ahead, eat that entire tub of cranberry sauce and feel absolutely no shame.

1. Sauvignon Blanc and Riesling are the two most complimentary wines to drink alongside turkey. You’re welcome.

1. While Pinterest may give the impression that creating a cornucopia is a simple task, prepare yourself for the blood, sweat, and tears that DIY’s tend to induce. Remember: 9/10 Pinterest attempts result in fails on epic proportions.

1. If your folks are the brave souls who take on the challenge of cooking the grand Thanksgiving meal, help them out! Whether you simply microwave some sweet potatoes or fully embrace your inner Martha Stewart by wearing an apron and completely taking over the preparations, you’ll realize that half of the fun of Thanksgiving is watching the meal come to life with people you love.

1. According to webmd., turkey does not make a person sleepy, but rather eating an abundance of food will do that to you. Nonetheless, make it your mission to nap. Nap on the floor, on the couch, on your bed, on your mom… Basically just go into hibernation, you’re entitled.

1. While I understand wanting to look chic for all of the Thanksgiving instagrams, make sure your pants have some stretch in them, otherwise the food baby will take over. Trust me, eating your weight in creamy garlic mashed potatoes while wearing high-waisted pants is seriously a form of torture. Wear leggings. You’ll thank me later.

1. Don’t spend your break stressing over exams or assignments. Sometimes it’s okay if the only thing you did is breathe. The semester is coming to a close, so reboot, rejuvenate, and reenergize so you can finish the year on a high note.

1. Coming from a retail worker, as soon as Thanksgiving ends that only means one thing: Christmas. Mentally prepare yourself for the constant Christmas songs and hours of Elf.

1. Black Friday. If you decide to venture to the mall to score the latest deals: be safe, savvy, and stay fabulous. If you choose to stay home and do absolutely nothing: be safe, sleep, and stay fabulous. Either way, you’re fabulous.

1. Arguably the best part of Thanksgiving is the leftovers. Taking the first bite of that famous turkey, mashed potato, and cranberry sandwich is an unparalleled experience.

1. Never skip dessert. Think of all of the ladies aboard the Titanic that refused cheesecake that night. Treat your taste buds, inhale that pecan pie, and love yourself.

1. Say thanks to the people you love. And the people you don’t. Seriously, just thank everyone for living. Life is hard; if you are given the occasion to eat a lot, love a lot, and nap a lot, absolutely positively cherish it.
Mackenzie's the name, Campus Correspondant for Suffolk is my game.