How to Embrace Your Basic-ness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

Basic: one who has no personality; dull and irrelevant, just an extra regular female

For the past year the word “basic” has taken a toll all over the Internet. Basically, if you have the same interest as a lot of other girls, then apparently you have the label of being basic. This means you lack originality, have no creativity, you’re boring, etc. Crazy, right?

Well ladies, instead of bringing down women for liking all the same things, maybe we should embrace the label of “basic.” When asking girls if they considered being called basic was an insult, they all said yes.

But my question is, why is it such a big deal? Why is it such a shame if you wear yoga pants and UGG boots and love pumpkin spice lattes? It shouldn’t mean we’re not worth getting anyone’s attention because we all like the same thing, right?

Every once in a while we’ll have those “I literally can’t even” moments, and that’s totally okay! Just thank God that wine was invented for these moments. People will make fun of us for being a fan girl about something, but lets all be real, everyone was and is a fan girl about something. They’re all just trying to hide it to look cool.

Just because you’re basic, doesn’t mean you have to be average. Lauren Conrad is labeled as basic, along with so many other female celebrities. That’s an even bigger reason to be proud!

Next time someone calls you basic, don’t get annoyed – just go watch Keeping Up with the Kardashians with your comfy Lulu yogas and your Starbucks. Don’t forget to Instagram it though, because if you didn’t Instagram it then did it really happen?

Lets all wear this label with confidence. Show people that you’re proud of being basic and there’s nothing to be ashamed of! Because lets be real, basics are taking over the world, anyway. #GIRLPOWER

Hey! I'm a third year student at St. Thomas University and i'm Majoring in English and Psychology .I'm studying to hopefully work for a fashion magazine one day . I absolutely love fashion and throughout my spare time you'll find me putting together outfits for whatever reason or i'll be on Pinterest.