5 Totally Underrated Valentine’s Day Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at STU (CA) chapter.

No doubt we’ve watched and read about some of the most popular love stories like Pride and Prejudice, and Titanic. But, what about the unsung romantic movies – the ones that were just as good, but were barely recognized? Here’s a list of movies that you might not have seen, but are a must-watch for Valentine’s Day!

Kate & Leopold

Starring Meg Ryan and Hugh Jackman. Jackman plays Prince Leopold George Duncan Albert Mountbatten, (phew!) Duke of Albany, who has somehow followed a stranger from his time in 1876 to the present day. While he tries to figure out how to get home and adjust to modern New York, he meets Kate McKay, a headstrong woman with a successful career who dismisses Leopold at first. But will their story blossom into love before he can get sent back to his own time?

Only You

Starring Marisa Tomei and Robert Downey, Jr. Tomei plays Faith Corvatch, who at age 11 learns from a Ouija board that the name of her soulmate will be Damon Bradley. Jump 14 years later, Faith is about to marry a podiatrist. While at home, she receives a call for her fiancé from his high school friend… Damon Bradley! When she learns he’s flying to Venice that same day, Faith, along with her best friend and sister-in-law, Kate, try to follow his trail, wedding dress and all! This story is not what you expect, and it’s definitely one to watch!

Benny & Joon

Starring Mary Stuart Masterson and Johnny Depp. Joon (Stuart Masterson) is mentally ill and living with her older brother, Benny. During a poker game with a friend, Benny loses and is forced to take in his friend’s nephew, Sam (Depp). Benny soon accepts Sam into their home after noticing that he cleaned their entire house. During his stay at the home, Joon and Sam slowly become closer. Watch the movie to find out what happens next!

Cry-Baby

Starring Johnny Depp and Amy Locane. This musical/romantic comedy revolves around “Cry-Baby” Wade Walker, a popular “drape” (what the rebels call themselves) and a beautiful “square,” Allison. For them it was love at first sight, but for Allison’s jealous boyfriend, Baldwin, it means war against the drapes!

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

This old-fashioned musical movie takes place in Oregon in 1850. A backwoodsman brings his wife home to meet his six brothers. Once seeing how in love their brother is, they all decide they want their own wives too! When the wife isn’t looking, the backwoodsman takes his brother on a trip to town to go wife-hunting! Expect a lot of laughs, music and romance in this movie!

If you’re planning to watch a movie this upcoming Valentine’s Day (or Galentine’s Day!), make sure to check off at least one of these movies on your list!

2nd year student at STU! I love to write, watch movies, listen to Kpop, be with friends and shop! I am currently studying Journalism.