Strath Bakes: Lemon Drizzle Cake

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

Exam stress getting you down? Why not take a study break and bake a Lemon Drizzle cake? It will relieve some stress and is the perfect tasty treat inbetween topics! This cake is moist, light and fresh – which will definetly give you a boost when you need it most!

Ingredients

For the sponge:

• 225g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 225g golden caster sugar
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 225g self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk

For the filling:

• 75g unsalted butter
  • 125g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 3 tbsp lemon curd

For the topping:

• 250g icing sugar
  • 1 tbsp lemon curd
  • 1 lemon, zested into strips

Method

For the sponge:

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C

2, Lightly grease 220cm sandwich cake tins and line the bases with greaseproof paper

3. Put the lemon zest, vanilla extract, butter and caster sugar into a large bowl, beat until pale and fluffy

4. Add the beaten eggs and a little of the flour

5. Stir then fold in the rest of the flour and the baking powder

6. Add the milk and stir again

7. Divide the mixture equally between the tins

8. Bake for 20 mins or until risen and light golden in colour

9. Leave to cool slightly, then remove from the tins, peel away the greaseproof paper and place on a wire rack to cool

For the filling:

1. Beat together the butter, icing sugar and lemon juice

2. When the cakes are cool, spread the lemon curd onto one and the buttercream onto the other, then sandwich them together

For the topping:

1. Beat the icing sugar with 40ml cold water until smooth, then stir in the lemon curd

2. Spoon over the cake, allowing it to trickle down the sides

3. Decorate with the strips of lemon zest

Enjoy!

Make sure to follow @HerCampusStrath on Twitter and Instagram and Like our Facebook page!

I'm Marjorie, studying towards a BA Hons Degree in International Business. I have always lived in Glasgow and love what it has to offer in terms of shopping, restaurants and nightlife! In September 2016, I embarked on my international exchange to Milan, Italy for 4 months which I absolutely loved!! Studying abroad allowed me to meet some lovely new friends, taste delicious food and visit beautiful lakes and cities nearby. I love going out with friends, getting dressed up, trying new things and meeting new people!