Let’s Talk Reflecting on Exchange with Caitlin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Strath chapter.

This week we caught up with Caitlin who has spent the last 4 months on exchange!

Hey Caitlin! So you are nearing the end of your exchange in the beautiful Lund, Sweden!

Q. What are the three main things you have learned the most about yourself during exchange?

A. I can do a lot more than I thought I could, I can actually cook quite well and I am a lot more confident than I thought. 

Q. What was your opinion of Sweden prior to exchange and how has that changed now you have spent 4 months living there?

A. I thought it was a very cultural place, very cold weather and that the people would be quite reserved. Now that I’ve lived there for 4 months I think it is very cultural but that’s what makes it such an interesting place to be- like fika is a Swedish tradition where you go for a coffee and cake with a friend, that is definitely my favourite haha! The weather was cold with lots of snow but it has the best of both worlds because the summers are so hot- I love proper seasons! And the people are some of the nicest I’ve ever met, they are so friendly and helpful and I have definitely made friends for life. 

Q. Have you got the travel bug now? Would you consider living abroad in the future?

A. I have a few trips booked for summer so I think I might a little. And there are a lot of places I still really want to go! I have no plans to live abroad right now I think I want to stay home for a while, I’ve definitely missed my family, friends and the British food! 

Q. What are your top 3 highlights when you look back on your experience?

A. The amazing people I have met, the places I have got to travel and Valborg festival.

Q. Finally, what are your recommendations to anyone planning on going one exchange next semester?

A. Be prepared and organised before you leave, keep an open mind, have a list of things you want to do and start doing them as quickly as you can because the time disappears so quickly, and write a journal/travel diary and take lots of pictures!

Thanks Caitlin, it was great catching up with you! 

Make sure to follow @HerCampusStrath on Twitter and Instagram and Like our Facebook page!

Hi, my name is Caitlin and I am a third year BA (Hons) International Business student currently majoring in Marketing and Entrepreneurship. I am a lover of all things beauty and makeup related and in my spare time I love to read fashion and beauty blogs to keep up with the latest trends. I am also a keen traveller, having spent 4 months studying in Montreal, Canada last year which was the best experience of my life to date!