You’re Not Alone: Feeling Lost During College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Managing the chaotic twists and turns of college can be stressful and overwhelming. At times, it feels like everything is perfect and you are well on your way to accomplishing all of your goals. Other times, it’s the opposite. You feel confused and lost, unsure of what to do next, afraid you are spiraling uncontrollably. College is a time to explore and to discover who you are and who you want to be. It won’t always be easy, but it will be worth it. It’s okay to feel stressed and worried because you’re not alone.

As cliche as it may sound, college is where you start to learn about who you are. What are your passions? How do you learn best? Are you a leader? What makes you happy? What do you value? All of these questions are not meant to be answered instantly during your freshman year of college. Don’t stress out if you haven’t found a hobby that speaks to you or a niche where you feel you truly belong. Part of college is learning what you don’t like through trial and error. What’s important is that you give yourself chances to try new things, and be open to exploring new classes, clubs, and meeting new people.

As a sophomore, I can honestly say that I don’t have all of the answers figured out. I’m not even close. However, my freshman year of college has taught me so much about myself just by going to class, meeting new people, and being on campus 24/7. I’m experiencing what it’s like to be independent and completely in control of my choices. I’m constantly learning little things about myself. For example, I really enjoy studying in groups which I have always thought I despised. I’m a visual learner. I’m an extroverted introvert. I like planning things and making lists. On the contrary, I still have a lot to learn and improve upon. I want to become more confident and comfortable during class presentations. My procrastination is still too real. I tend to overthink things. But that’s okay. What’s important is that we are all focusing on bettering ourselves and working toward our goals.

No matter what point of your college career you’re in, don’t stress out because you aren’t where you want to be. Give yourself more credit and appreciate how far you’ve come. Make choices that are the best for you mentally, physically, socially and academically.

Realize that we are all in the same boat trying to figure out college for ourselves. Most importantly, stop comparing yourself to others. Just because it may seem like everyone else has it all figured out, doesn’t mean they actually do. Focus on what is important to you and take it step by step each day. In time, you will be rewarded for your hard work, dedication and perseverance.

Suzanne Tawch

Stony Brook '20

Pre-Med. Things I like: coffee, Netflix, That 70's Show, memes. Things I don't like: Mondays, Youtube Ads, pineapple on pizza.
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor