Why The Women’s March Was Important To Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

On January 21st, 2017 the Women’s March took place all over the world in response to Donald Trump’s presidency. I had the honor of attending the one that took place in New York City. The environment was amazing, to say the least. The weather was great, there were hundreds of thousands of people, and I was happy. I felt as if I were home.

In the middle of a sea of pink beanies, the march was the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. Men, women, and all different kinds of people came together to resist. There were signs, chants, and even someone dressed as Wonder Woman, a true feminist icon. Chants of “This is what democracy looks like!” and “Small hands, small feets! All you do is tweet, tweet, tweet!” rang out throughout the streets of the city while a band played.

Marches like this are important. It gives those a chance to voice their opinion without being judged. And it allows others to get their point across. There were plenty of signs that said “I’ll see you nice white ladies at the next BLM march, right?” Those signs struck chords with those who didn’t know how to get involved. Marches are about unity in uncertain times. This was certainly one that showed that.Attending The Women’s March showed that our voices mattered, that we were being heard all around the world. It proved to myself that I can have a say in what happens during the next four years and that was important. After the election, I felt helpless and afraid like there was nothing that I could do. Attending the march in the city was exactly what I needed to get back on my feet and fight.

In times of darkness, it can be hard to remember the good things. But, when marches like this are happening all over, at any given point it has to make you smile. The Women’s March was just the start of it. Now there are marches planned for every month and even every week. It inspires me to stand up every day and resist what I can’t stand.

Journalism, Stony Brook University Sophmore, Long Island
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor