This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Spring Break just ended, and summer is right around the corner. For some of us that traveling down the block to our jobs. But what a lot of students don’t know is that traveling on a college budget doesn’t have to break the bank!​

First things first, Airbnb is your best friend. The app/website helps you find different types of apartments, hotel rooms, hostels or even treehouses for your vacation. The app allows you to choose from shared rooms, private rooms and private homes. Along with that, they have a map that allows you to zoom in and out to look at different locations in the city of your choice. It also allows you to pick your price range which narrows down which locations will show up. When you click on a location, it gives you all of the information such as monthly discounts, if a security deposit is needed and which dates it’s available for. The only tricky thing with Airbnb is if it’s a last minute trip. When that happens, sometimes the prices go way up and you might not have a lot of options to stay in. But, if you give yourself enough time you should be good to go!

Skyscanner is also your friend. This app/website helps compile all of the possible flights you could take from one location to another and shows it from cheapest to most expensive. Along with the price, it shows you whether or not there’s a layover and just how long the flight will take. Some of the airlines aren’t main ones so you might have to do a little bit of searching before you find an airline you trust.

Along with Skyscanner, you can also do standby flights which can help with getting cheap tickets. This method is a little bit hectic, but you’ll be able to buy a ticket for way cheaper that someone else had originally bought, but they couldn’t make their flight. You’d have to plan how to get to the airport in advance and have all of your stuff packed, but it’s definitely worth trying if you think you’ll be able to handle it!

Traveling can be super stressful and expensive, but if you have the right tools you won’t have to worry about breaking the bank. Start planning those awesome summer vacations ASAP and you’ll be good to go once the semester ends!

Journalism, Stony Brook University Sophmore, Long Island
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor