Senioritis Is Not Just For Seniors

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Senioritis was first introduced to me my senior year in high school. People stopped caring about school because they knew their last semester wouldn’t really affect them. It was kind of liberating, but it’s a different ball game now that I’m a sophomore in college. I’ve realized that anyone can have senioritis, whether they are graduating or not. It’s just a condition characterized by extreme laziness and it’s now in season. For those of you not familiar, here are some symptoms a lot of students face towards the end of the year. 

1. You start to skip more classes, more frequently.

Probably the most common symptom of Senioritis is the loss of motivation to go classes. What’s the point of going to lecture when you’re not even going to pay attention? At some point, you forget that you’re even enrolled in the course and become a stranger to everyone in the class. ​

2. You start caring less about how you dress.

At this point, the people on campus have seen most of your outfits whether they were on point or not. There’s no point in trying to impress anyone anymore. You dress as lax as possible because you know no one really cares about what you wear. 

3. Waking up before 12 P.M.? Nope.

It seems as time goes on in the semester, it becomes harder and harder to wake up for those morning classes. I was able to wake up for my 8:30 A.M. lectures throughout the beginning of this semester, but now I just shut off my alarm and go back to bed. Even if I get enough sleep, I still can’t get myself up. 

4. You spend most of your day in bed. ​​

This symptom sort of follows skipping class and being lazy. You think of a million reasons why staying in bed is the better option and end up sleeping the day away. You can also just spend the day watching Netflix. If you don’t think about it too much, there aren’t really any consequences to it. Just chill out for the day.  

5. The library is a foreign place to you.

Even though you might have been a studious pupil throughout the beginning, the thought of summer and hanging out with friends distracts you from studying towards the end of the semester. It becomes harder to focus on assignments as the weather is getting warmer. You would rather spend your time doing something else, or nothing at all.

Senioritis is a real pain. It affects even the most scholarly of us and you never know when it’s going to hit you. I don’t think there’s a good way to avoid it, but just remember that the semester is almost over and finish off strong! Unlike the last semester of high school, this semester and the rest of your semesters can impact your future. Overall, it is important to balance your chill time and study time.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Junior Health Science Major
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor