courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive Social Situations (From A Self-Proclaimed Introvert)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Being an introvert is hard, especially in an increasingly extroverted world that requires you to have certain skills so that you can be a good job candidate in the future. Being an introvert does provide certain setbacks in life that can be easily overcome without changing the entirety of your personality. If we were all the same, it would be boring and there is nothing to be fixed about keeping to yourself.

1. Try and go the extra mile, even though it’s hard.

If someone compliments your hair, don’t just say “thanks” and move away. I’ve done that quite a few times. Say something like, “Thanks, my sister did it,” or “Thanks, I just got it done.” Don’t just end a conversation so abruptly, especially if the person wants to talk to you or you want to talk to them. If not, run, run fast.

2.  Look interested in what someone is saying.

Very often, people will stop talking to me or just avoid talking to me in general because they think I don’t want to be bothered, which is only true about 95% of the time. The other 5%, I am very open to conversation and I am willing to participate in whatever a person or group is saying, I just happen to scare them away before I get to do so.​

3. It’s okay to take a break. 

If you’ve had enough socializing for the day, feel free to excuse yourself and sit in the bathroom for 20 minutes. It’s okay. Don’t let anyone convince you that you need to constantly be surrounded by people to feel validated or happy. Me time is ok.

4. Talk to one person individually and gradually build the group size. 

Talking in a big group can be uncomfortable and frightening if you can’t lift your voice to match others, so start by conversing with one person and build from there. You don’t have to be King Arthur; being a member of the roundtable is enough.

5. Don’t get too caught up in your inner monologue, actively listen to what others are saying. 

We can get so caught up in ourselves, you may be noticing minute details, the weird way someone is talking, what homework you have to do later, and everything else but what the person in front of you is saying. You can’t survive a conversation if you have no idea what it’s about.

6. Try to relax around others, even though it’s hard. 

Being by yourself is comforting, but you can’t be by yourself forever. Being with friends, even if it’s just a few, doesn’t have to be stressful. Don’t force yourself into wildly social situations if you’re not ready for it.

Taking everything in steps is the best way to get through social situations, and is an easy way to overcome the uneasiness you may feel. It can eventually become comforting to be surrounded by others, and being an introvert shouldn’t stop you from pursuing whatever you want in life. Just go out and get it.

Gif courtesy of Giphy

Name: Brittany Dixon Year: Freshman Major: Biology Hometown: Jamaica, NY
The collgiette's online guide to life in seawolf country.