This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Considering the state of mind I’m currently in, it’s pretty ironic that I’m writing about how to overcome the very thing that’s plaguing me. For anyone reading this, writer’s block could be a very real thing, whether you’re trying to bang out a paper or struggling through the first chapter of a novel in the making.

If you’re having trouble transferring your thoughts onto the page or the screen, here are some tips that might help (you and me both).

Take a Break

This might seem counterintuitive, but getting away from what you’re writing sometimes needs to be the first order of business. Stand up, stretch, go for a walk, listen to some music—do something else that will get your blood flowing or your mind temporarily occupied. When you finally return to your writing, you’ll hopefully have a somewhat fresher, clearer head and be a little more ready to tackle your work from a new perspective.

Go Somewhere Else

Sometimes your creative flow is blocked because you’ve been stuck in the same spot all day. The environment often has a big impact on how you’re feeling, so if you’ve been staring at the same wall for four hours straight, maybe it’s time to move elsewhere. Welcome a change of scenery by going for a walk around the block or migrating to a different area where you can encounter new faces, smells, sounds, and other sensations. Who knows — doing so might even lead to fresh inspiration for whatever you’re writing about.

Talk to Someone

Strike up a conversation with someone— your mom, your best friend, your dog, or a stranger passing by on the street. 

Talking to others will expose you to their ideas and thoughts, and no matter what the topic of conversation is, something they say or something you think of in response might just be the spark for new inspiration in your writing. At the very least, it’s certainly an interesting way to learn more about other people!

Journal

If the words for your paper/novel/blog post/article/short story just aren’t flowing, sit down and try a different type of writing instead: journaling. Whether you decide to type it out or handwrite, word vomit is a great way to get out your thoughts without feeling as if your writing style or opinions are being restricted or judged. Journaling is for you and you alone, so take advantage of the opportunity to release your thoughts freely.

Kailey Walters

Stony Brook '19

I'm a simple girl. My idea of a good time is a quiet night with friends or curling up with a good book. Some of my other favorite things include running, swimming, people watching, and of course, writing what I know. Currently an English and Psychology double major with a Creative Writing minor, graduation bound in spring 2019!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor