How to Budget Like a Real-Ass Adult

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Being in college can be a bit difficult when it comes to money. You come from an environment where the fridge is stocked, your iPhone is paid for, and weekends where you go to the movies or cafes are no problem. Now, you are in college and expected to pay for everything out of pocket. Well, no need to fret! Here are some basic ways to save money and live that adult life.

1. Go to discount food stores

Yes, it may not be as glamorous as a Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s but you would be surprised the money you save. This is for people especially living in apartments or in a cooking building. Buying food off campus can actually be cheaper in most cases than the overpriced meal plan you pay for. I mean come on, nothing has seemed more appealing than a one-dollar pound of pasta from ALDI am I right?

2. Online shopping can be your best friend

So, you ripped that pair of jeans you have been wearing since high school. Now what? Don’t go to American Eagle and waste $60! There is a new solution: online consignment shops. Online consignment shops actually have a ton of high-end clothes for a way cheaper price. Now those jeans are only 15$! Usually, they will allow you to send back what doesn’t fit. That way you stay in style and stay cost efficient.

3. Limit those weekends out

Listen, we all love to party on the weekends. This is one of the ways to lose your money the quickest, though. Don’t get me wrong, don’t stay in your room and stare at the wall. Just limit it to maybe an every-so-often occasion with your friends. Your wallet will thank you in the long run.

4. Make luxury items a treat

If I could go to Starbucks every day, I would. However, it’s not fiscally responsible. Like limiting time out with friends, you need to limit the expensive items that you do not need. These items should be saved for a reward when you save your money and you are on the budget. That way you look forward to these items and still stay strict with your cash.

5. Keep tabs on your bank account

This is something that I find to be extremely stressful. You may want to break down after seeing how low your bank account is, but it is important. Knowing the amount that is in your bank account and knowing what you are spending is vital to being on an adult budget. This way you evaluate if you need to cut back or if you are on track.

This list may be a bit tricky at first and you may break a few rules on the way. However, if you keep at it and manage your budget, you will be responsible with your money like a grown-ass adult.

Hello! I am a Biochemistry major in Stony Brook University with a passion for writing. I enjoy composing music, baking and beauty products.I think it is important it speak out and have a voice. That's why I am happy to be apart of hercampus!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor