This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

At special occasions when I was growing up, relatives and family friends would always comment, either to me or to my parents, on how much I had changed since they last saw me. “Wow, your hair is getting so long,” they’d say, or, “You’re getting so big! I remember when you were just this tall…” and they would hover their hand about two feet off the ground.

I used to begrudge these remarks when I was a kid, often puzzled and slightly irritated by people’s seemingly unwarranted declarations of my growth. To this day family members still do this, although thankfully their comments are less frequent and generally just express disbelief over the fact that I’m already in college. And while I sometimes get annoyed, the thing is, I get it now. Having reached an age and a period in my life when I— could it be— am starting to feel more like an adult, I look at younger friends and family members, and all I can think is, “Why are you already [insert age]?? How are you growing up so fast?”

Here are a few of the people I wish I could stop time for because they are just growing up too much for me to handle.

My Brother

At fifteen-years-old and standing five-foot-eight, my brother looks like he could be older than me. Add in the fact that he’s a sophomore on his high school baseball team, has a six pack, and does daily strenuous workouts, and it’s really hard to believe that, to me, he is still my baby brother. Certain indications of his growing up— like the occasional Instagram shirtless mirror selfie that I scroll past— make me cringe and wish I hadn’t glimpsed that part of his teenage life. But other instances— like when he talks to adults in a respectful way instead of acting like a mute— shy little kid the way he used to, make me realize that maybe his growing up isn’t quite so terrible.

My Cousin

Three years younger than me, my cousin has always been my best friend and the sister I never had. For most of my life, I was barely aware of the age gap between us. Even though I knew we were going through important stages of our lives at different times, I always felt as if those differences didn’t matter. They still don’t matter in terms of how close we are as friends, but lately, I’ve become more aware of all these milestones she’s hitting: learning how to drive, taking her SATs, applying to colleges, etc. I remember going through these things myself, so the fact that it’s her turn now leaves me full of disbelief and wondering, “Where did the time go?”

My High School Swim Teammates

Most of them were little baby sophomores when I graduated, and this year it’s their turn to graduate. The times I visited my old swim team and cheered them on at their meets, I was amazed, unbelievably proud, and in awe of how much the team as a whole had grown—not just in size with new members, but also in their improved times and the new captains’ mature, responsible handling of the team. The fact that they will soon be moving on, leaving their legacy on a team that I feel I am still a part of, makes me wonder how it all happened so fast.

Ultimately, while it’s tough watching the people you’re closest with grow up at a seemingly dizzying pace, it’s also incredibly awe-inspiring and beautiful. I take comfort in knowing that, no matter how much they change, they’re changing for the better. And there will always be a part of them that remains fundamentally the same.

Kailey Walters

Stony Brook '19

I'm a simple girl. My idea of a good time is a quiet night with friends or curling up with a good book. Some of my other favorite things include running, swimming, people watching, and of course, writing what I know. Currently an English and Psychology double major with a Creative Writing minor, graduation bound in spring 2019!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor